11/4 gate valve question

The gate valve mechanism failed in the closed position. It is marked with a W on one side. Does this indicate the manufacturer and if so can I get the innards replaced"\\? Taking it out is messy job, it's soldered in with no unions. Thanks, Seamus J.. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

replace with ball valve, more reliable, and easy off on

with the proper torch easily soldered in.

i dont believe gate valve innards can be replaced assuming you can even get it apart:(

Reply to
hallerb

It could have been Walworth Valve co. History here:

The problem with gate valve repair is getting the bonnet nut loosened. They are usually *very* tight and it's tough to get wrenches in place.

If you do succeed in getting the bonnet loose, you probably won't be able to get parts or even a similar valve.

I would be planning to cut this valve out and then fitting a new one in, either soldered or some variety of compression fitting.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

And when you do replace it, include a union for the next guy.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

W might be Wolverine Brass

were it mine a ball valve would replace it.

Reply to
beecrofter

Who needs a union with a simple valve on soldered copper pipe?

Reply to
trader4