Any way to stop flooding mower with oil?

Whenever I do any work under my push mower which has a 3.5hp briggs engine, I end up flooding the engine with oil. Then its horrible to start again, and when it does the smoke is horrible. I do know better than to flip it upside down, but to take off the blade for sharpening, or tighten the wheels (which are always coming loose), I have to put it on its side. I dread doing that, because I know I'll have to fight with it for an hour to start it again, which means removing the plug, cleaning the cylinder with gas, draining the oily gas, and then pulling the rope about 100 times to finally start it, aftrer which I risk the EPA arresting me because of all the smoke.

Is there any way to prevent this problem? I did try putting the mower on blocks and working under it, but when it fell on my face I gave up on that idea. I do know that the oil comes up that blowby pipe or whatever thats called. Should I get a rubber cap for it, or will the oil come up another way? THere has got to be a better way to do this.

Tom

Reply to
t&j-smith

Try tipping it in a different direction?

Reply to
Noozer

Certainly see no reason it needs to go all the way over on it's side

-- all it should take is raising the front or rear or the discharge side a couple of inches to reach under and remove the blade -- certainly not enough to flood the engine w/ oil to any great extent. Same thing for wheels -- all it takes is one off the ground at a time.

If it's inconvenient to get to the ground, pick it up and set it on a workbench at a convenient height.

If you have some real physical disability that prevents that, guess you could get the motorcycle lift and use it or similar.

Reply to
dpb

Try putting it on it's "other" side and see if that helps.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I put the handle under a car bumper.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Other than gas leaking from the gas cap, don't have this oil problem with any of my mowers regardless which side it was flipped and it starts with one or two pulls. Oh, I have Honda engines.

Reply to
** Frank **

I have a Honda mower and in their manual it says not to tip the mower with the Carburetor side down. If you need to tip it on it's side, only tip it with the Carburetor side upper most. Note this does not help you change two of the wheels, but shoudl allow you to get at that mower blade.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

He can tip it while it's running and see which side won't smoke. Also make sure it doesn't have too much oil in it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If you examine the orientation of the engine you will see that oil will be less prone to drain towards the top end when it is tipped on some sides compared to others. Sorry but as this will vary with the engine and the mower, I cannot be more specific. Basically pick a side or end to tilt it on where the crankcase will not spill oil into the cylinder when it is stood on it's side.

Reply to
Larry W

Check the oil level. Sounds massively over filled. 3.5 HP mowers take about 20 ounces when they are full. I've seen people put the entire quart in, when the oil appears low.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon