Any other use for golf-cart charger?

So are we going to talk about trickle charging a series string of batteries over several days or charging over several hours, like is virtually always done - like for golf-carts?

So what? There are equivalent problems in a series string.

Which is not what you said you were doing in the warehouse. You said that was series, not parallel. So what are we talking about? Or are you still misunderstand that series is constant voltage, not constant current?

There aren't a lot of applications that heavily discharge battery sets (golf-carts) and then trickle charge them.

For a series string that is what I said (and what Stormin said).

You disagreed with Stormin - that your warehouse charged very dissimilar batteries in series. Your statement above disagrees with that and agrees with Stormin.

You changed the subject by changing from a normal charge - over hours (golf-cart) - to a trickle charge - over days. So which are we talking about?

The thread was about series strings of batteries - golf carts - until you brought up parallel charging. Nobody talked about a parallel set of batteries for a power application. Changing the subject yet again.

Reply to
bud--

So what is the point?

There are limitations on both series and parallel setups. Life is a series of tradeoffs.

Reply to
bud--

Not so much for charging, but definitely for DISCHARGING under high current conditions. My Fiat drew over 400 amps under accelleration - making battery characteristics pretty important.

On the electric car it was charged with what was basically a heavy golf cart charger - and in order to get anything more than 12 volts - you definitely need a series string of batteries - and if they are in series to provide the voltage required, you would not normally charge them in parallel.

The one setup I used DID use series / parallel connections - with two series strings in series with each other for higher speeds, and in parallel with each other for high torque and low speeds. The two strings were charged in parallel - and it was NOT a satisfactory setup in the long run.

Much better to just use a high voltage series string and a good pulse width modulated speed controller - which I did not have at that time.

Reply to
clare

ANd the tradeoffs to parallel charging are more serious than those of series charging.

You can do as you like - you don't take advise from those with experience it's your dollars.

Reply to
clare