Ants and the shed door

Yes, photos would definitely help solve the problems. I pictured a ramp with a flat, level area at the door....danged ESP isn't working today :o) If the shed is fairly new, I'd be talking to the mfg. about a new door.

Reply to
Norminn

The inside is particle board, the outside seems solid. I'll get pictures Thurs. The doors face northish and it is next to a 6' fence on the left side that faces mostly east. Behind it is also a 6' fence (it's on a corner of my property). It gets a lot of sun but I guess the bottom of the doors are mostly shaded due to a very poofy Crepe Myrtle next to it on the westish side.

Reply to
Cheryl

Have you poked around into the rotted areas to make sure there aren't termites?

Reply to
Norminn

That is a very good possibility too. But would ants and termites co-habitate? My area can be plagued with swarmers and I've had to have my house treated, and am on a maintenance plan to keep it termite free but I've seen swarmers out during the spring and they took care of a tree stump so I never had to have it removed. Far enough from the house that I wasn't worried, but it's possible they're attacking my shed now. Thanks.

The first spring after I bought this house I kept seeing winged creatures in the bathtub in the lower level of the house. I finally realized they were termite swarmers when I found the difference between termites and ants in that stage. Ants have jointed antenna and termites have straight ones. Body shape at the thorax is also different. Checked around and found a pest control company that uses Termidor. Actually now that you mention that and I questioned it, I used to get ants in my house in the spring but haven't had them since Termidor and that's been 10 years now. The pest control company inspects yearly but I guess the first clue I'll see to know it needs another treatment will be ants. So ignore my question about ants and termites co-habitating. I guess I know the answer. :) Wow did I ramble or what.......

Reply to
Cheryl

Yike! Does the pest control company take care of the shed, too? You in Florida? In FL, it is not "will I get termites" but "When". I'm posting a link to one of the articles on U of Fla website that has scads of good, useful info for gardens and homes:

This article is about subterranean termies, but has links to find whatever you need....carpenter ants are known to inhabit termite tunnels, but both can be found in same conditions. Damp or rotted wood. Here is article about carpenter ants:
When I lived in Fla, my husband was the condo building mgr/handyman. We worked on lots of long-neglected problems that resulted from poor maintenance. U of Fla has good articles about PREVENTING infestations and how to find signs of term. infestation. Carpenter ants (and fire ants) are interesting critters and not that difficult to manage. Read up on these before you dump buckets of poison around...just cleaning up landscaping, caulking gaps in building, painting, can do a great deal to avoid problems.

Reply to
Norminn