ANSWERING MACHINE RINGS

[snip]

When I was home, I could usually tell (from the caller ID) when a legitimate call came in. With that "press 1", system most of the time it would be me that pressed 1. If I was not home, the message was often missed (or half-missed when the caller wouldn't wait for the beep).

A lot of the times I have to deal with such a system, there'll be multiple menu items, given unpleasantly slowly, none of which are what I called about.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I had one call (probably junk) where the entire message was spoken during the OGM. All that was recorded was a quiet "mumble-click" at the end.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I find it more distressing that the choices don't always line up with what *I* would like them to be. So, I've developed a habit when dealing with these things: as soon as I hear an option that is better than the best option I've heard so far (which may have been "none"), I throw out that many fingers to "remember" the option number. When I've heard the entire menu, then I press the button indicated by my current "finger display".

Too often, I've taken an early choice only to discover that waiting would have exposed a *better* choice!

(sigh) Yet another example of how businesses have so much contempt for their customers -- pushing off THEIR costs onto the customer.

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y posted for all of us...

You are a business, you should know that ALL costs are paid by the customer.

Reply to
Tekkie®

verizon is the absolute worst! their goal is to discorage the customer calling so they just go away.

they have endless menus, with multiple choices, then when you finally get to the one you want, it says all techs are busy please try again later and hangs up on you.

fios wwas a absolute nightmare.

which is why i got ri of it..........

Reply to
bob haller
[snip]

Trouble with customer service was one of the reasons I quit using DirecTV. They kept answering questions I didn't ask, while avoiding the ones I did ask. They finally solved my problem, although I suspect it (the solution) had nothing to do with me. I called again to say it was fixed, and then actually gave me a new problem (unwanted password reset).

Another time I was asked how many mushrooms my satellite dish had. I almost said I must have gotten a wrong number (I wanted satellite TV, not a mushroom farm).

BTW, I did think about the fact that mushrooms don't grow on clean, dry, well-lighted, metal surfaces.

OT: I was getting used to the countdown that used to be in my sig.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Businesses don't think about things from the users' point of view. Nor do they think of things from *their* point of view!

I.e., if you had a human being reciting these choices to the caller, would THESE be the choices you would provide? Would you PAY THAT 'OPERATOR' to ask the same question more than once in a given call? (of course not! you'd expect her to take note of the answers she's received and adjust her future questions accordingly -- not discard each answer after acting on it EXACTLY ONCE!)

The attitude of vendors seems to be one of "you will pay for what you need/use". I.e., folks who don't need customer service never "pay the price" of dealing with an inefficient (customer's point of view) service interface.

It's a wonder that warranty repairs aren't *billed* to the users needing them; that the cost of warranty service is born across all customers, not just the ones who actually are victims of it!

The "mushrooms" (LNB) are the actual ACTIVE antenna elements on the dish. They *look* like mushrooms -- in an abstract sense!

The dish tries to "focus" the radio waves to a point -- where *an* antenna can be placed to send/receive signals. If you fudge the shape of the dish (instead of a paraboloid with a single focal point), you can position more than one antennae (mushroom) and then electronically select between them to effectively "point" the antenna assembly in a slightly different direction (best available signal, different satellite, etc).

Days *since*? Days 'till the Second Coming?

Reply to
Don Y
[snip]

Low Noise Block downconverter. However, I seen to have heard that these are really LNBF, since the feedhorn in integrated.

The problem is that I actually know what a satellite dish does, and that has nothing to do with fungi.

The other part of that problem was that the CSR insisted I needed 5 "mushrooms" instead of the 3 I actually needed. The installer (which they stupidly required even though I already had a working dish) got it right.

BTW, I do actually get big mushrooms in the yard sometimes, after rainfall.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes. Just a sloppy use of terminology (as is "mushroom")

See above. I suspect if they refered to them as LNB's most homeowners would say, "How do I figure out how many LNB's I have?" So, easier to refer to them more colloquially.

CSR works off a script. When ISP installed dish for our network link, "guy at the office" kept telling the installer to align to a different xmitter. The sight-lines ON HIS (CSR) MAP said it would be a much better option for our location.

What he *couldn't* see was the large tree blocking the ACTUAL sight-line that was blatantly obvious to the installer!

Not here. Too dry for things like that to get -- or *stay* -- established! (plus, no place for them to hide "in the dark")

Reply to
Don Y