Another try at this Hot Tub calculation

Hey, I'm a Canadian, we don't abuse each other for making a typing error. I got my measuring tape out and the deck is 10 ft 3 inches wide and 14 ft 5 inches long.

One side (the side where the hot tub will be) is attached to the outside wall of the house.

The joists underneath are 21 inches apart. The other side is secured by 3 4x4 posts evenly spaced. Their website says it weighs 1972 lbs.

Reply to
stevewarburtoncommunications

If you are Canadian, why would you not use the metric system to describe your dimensions? Additionally, are you asking a question? If so, what is it?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Not sure what being Canadian has to do with it. I haven't seen any of your earlier post or replies. Regarding the weight of the tub, 1972 lbs. is either the weight of a very small hot tub -or- the empty weight of a very large hot tub. We can't really help you without knowing which. Also, regarding the joists being 21 inches apart, that is an unusual distance. Do you mean 21 inches between 2 of them or 21 inches center to center? Center to center is the normal way of measuring. Fort example, they might be spaced at 16" or 24". I'll guess yours are 24" but my guess isn't important in the calculations. Best of luck and enjoy the tub when you are done.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Not enough information...

  1. What size are the joists (2x6, 2x8, etc.)
  2. How far do the joists span (8', 10', etc.)
  3. What is the distance from the center of one joist to the center of the next (16", 24", etc.)
  4. What kind of supports do the joists rest on at each end (foundation, beam, etc.)
  5. If the joists rest on a beam, what size is the beam (4x6, 4x8, etc.)
  6. If a beam supports the joists, what supports the beam (4x4 posts at
4' spacing, etc.)
  1. Is 1972 pounds the weight of the hot tub full or empty?
  2. How many gallons does the hot tub hold? Water weighs about 8.36 pounds per gallon, so you can do the math.
  3. You have to factor in:

A. The weight of the empty hot tub (1972 pounds?)

B. The weight of the water (gallons x 8.36 pounds)

C. The weight of the people in the tub (200lbs x number of users)

Remember to plan for the unexpected, such as several people standing on the deck even if the hot tub isn't being used (parties, family gatherings, etc.)

Good luck,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Without any more details, decks are generally engineered for 40 pounds per sqft. Your tub is easily twice that. If you just put 2 4x4s and a short beam under the tub it would be plenty strong enough, IMHO but I have not proved it on paper.

Reply to
gfretwell

Seems like a reasonable weight for a typical home hot tub with water that's going on a deck to me. A gallon of water is 8 lbs. Empty it probably weighs a couple hundred pounds, leaving enough for around

200 gallons of water.

Not enough info on the rest, ie joist size, what's supporting the joists on either end, etc.

Reply to
trader_4