Anchoring screws in a lamp

I'm repairing a used high-intensity lamp with a magnifying lens that I picked up. Three screw sockets are either split or disintegrated, probably from over-tightening. (See picture 1.) On one side of the lamp housing, I ground down part of the damaged socket with a Dremel and glued a plastic anchor in place bracing it with the side of the housing. (See picture 2.) I'm pretty sure this will work ok for that side.

On the other side, the sockets are 1/2" from the side of the housing so there's nothing to support a plastic anchor. (See picture 3; sockets in picture 1 viewed from above.) I could use a suggestion on how to support these two screws.

Picture 1

Picture 2
Picture 3

bobneworleans

Been there done that. Filled hole with 24 hour JB Weld. Put a sleeve around broken parts and added more JB. Before taking JB out of tubes to mix I warm the 2 tubes with a heat gun (careflly) This makes it more fluid and will fill hole. Next day drill and tap in threads for proper hole size for screws. WW

Reply to
WW

The repair suggested by WW is worth a try.

Otherwise, I'd try drilling & tapping the remaining boss and using a small diameter machine screw.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I have a plastic repair product that I used when I was repairing a lot of consumer electronic items. I got it from the local electronic supply house years ago. It is a fine plastic powder and a solvent that when mixed in the proper ratio will produce a plastic putty or paste and will be much like the plastic part being repaired when it sets up. I couldn't find the original online but I came across the same thing here:

Look at their thread repair photos:

And how to video:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What everyone else has said is exactly what I would say.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A big thank you to everyone for your suggestions and comments. The lamp is now back together and working.

Also, special thanks to BobK for introducing me to the proper word for a molded socket: boss. (Do most DIY folks recognize that word or just mechanical engineers?) Bob

Reply to
bobneworleans

and re-assemble(gently).

Reply to