American Leak Detection (BEWARE)

I called their main office back in December and had a leak fixed (supposedly) at the beginning of the year. They had their Tampa franchise come out and do the work. Unfortunately I had to spend the first two months of the year in Atlanta and when coming home mid February I saw that the pool was still leaking.

I called the company and spoke with management and they said they would be glad to come out when I wanted them too. I asked if it was okay if I put it off for a few months and the owner said no problem. Three months later its May and I call them up to come do the work and I'm told that the franchise had been sold and that they would no longer honor the prior owners agreement.

I paid $300 dollars for essentially nothing. I called their "corporate office" and i might as well been talking to a wall. I was told the only thing I could do was to plead my case with the new owners. I understand the new ownership not wanting to do anything, but they got very nasty with me and when I told them I was going to call their corporate office the owner said he could care less. I don't expect the new owners to pay for it, but you would think they would be sympathetic to the problem at hand.

American Leak Detection's corporate office is nothing more than a facade. They sell their name but they do not honor work that is done by their franchises. If you need a company to fix your pool, don't spend $300 with them, when they did work on my pool their warranty was 90 days, now they give you a one month warranty. Can you say rip off?

Dennis Wyatt Tampa, FL

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis,

When someone buys a business he assumes the responsibilities and must honor them. Your problem is that you have nothing in writing to prove that there was an agreement. Contact the previous owner and see if he remembers your deal. Also, was there a warranty on this work? That, in itself, may obligate the business to fix the problem

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Depends.

Most folks who buy a business try to structure things so that they aren't subject to any "surprises."

They buy the physical assets and the "good will" and the trademark but don't necessarily assume responsibility for the obligations of the previous owner.

That's quite legal in general.

State and municipal "Comsumer Protection Laws" might attempt to create an obligation to honor old contracts when a new business uses the old name.

Unless you can find the previous owner you likely are SOL. If you can find him you mihgt be able to get your money back but that assumes he has any money in the first place.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer