Alternative to Tile in the Kitchen

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Reply to
mcp6453

Bamboo Flooring (a renewable resource)

.

Reply to
Oren

Some people do laminate (a.k.a. Pergo, and other brands) click-together, hardwood-looking flooring. One place to check for pricing, styles, etc. may be

. Also, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Reply to
Jay-T

Vinyl is an excellent choice for a kitchen floor. It comes in many embossed patterns and colors. Do not use a wood product.

Reply to
Phisherman

Linoleum (not to be confused with vinyl), is mostly a renewable resource as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Go visit a flooring store. There are so many materials in the past 10 years that I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than another. Sheet goods tend to be good and easy to maintain, but take a good look at alternatives and see how they fit with your needs.

Reply to
Ed P

Anything that is softer than ceramic, stand on ceramic for an hour and your feet will tell you to get off of it!

Reply to
hrhofmann

I like sheet vinyl. No seams (or very few, if your kitchen is large).

The kitchen is a place for utility. While it can also be attractive, the foremost consideration is cleanup.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

"Ed P" wrote in news:td2dnTkMNMTzi8TWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

They even have glueless vinyl/lino. Can't couch for it since I've never used it. Not sure how long it's been around and if it stands the test of time.

Reply to
Red Green

Agreed. Kitchens have spills, even if there are no kids around. Too many people put flooring in kitchens that are not suitable for a wet environment.

Reply to
mike

We have one-piece vinyl now for the last 10 years, still looks good, and if you spill something, or the dogs laps water out of his dish, you don't have to rush to clean/pick it up. Wouldn't consider anything that was not one-piece to cover the entire floor. Of course, if you kitchen's smallest dimension is more than 15 feet, you may be in trouble

Reply to
hrhofmann

I am following this thread with great interest. My kitchen sheet vinyl is tired, big-time. Have been looking at alternatives (price is big consideration). QUESTION: When this vinyl was put down, somewhere in the late Pleistocene, the floor layer guy that it would be "impossible" -- meaning, I guess, very difficult -- to remove it..

Can this be true? If so, is it possible to put down a new sheet vinyl floorcovering OVER the old one?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Current common practice by low-bid installers is to cover with 1/4" luan plywood, and lay the new floor on that. Can be a pita, if doors and cabinets (and especially dishwasher openings) are not tolerant of the floor getting taller by 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

They can also skim-coat existing floor with leveling compound, but that is prone to telegraphing the pattern from the old vinyl, old seams, any nail pops. etc. Vinyl really wants to go over something smooth and hard for best results.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Plank flooring..

Our easiest-to-install flooring ever! Install an entire floor cleanly, easily in just a few hours. Easy GripStrip installation Lays directly over your old floor; no floor prep or messy glue needed! Looks and feels like ceramic tile feel the texture! Completely waterproof. Perfect in high moisture areas basements, kitchens, and bathrooms. Warm comfort and quiet under foot. 25 year residential warranty.

Perfect for the DIYer...My dad has had it for a few years...Nice stuff and a breeze to install....HTH...

benick

Higgs Boson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Yes you can put vinyl over vinyl but it must be done right.

Option - Put down "underlayment" which is not luan and is more expensive. Screw and construction adhesive it down. Screw heads must be countersunk. Screwing pattern is important, especially at seams and wall edges. All seams and screw heads must be skim coated.

Option - Same as above only with luan.

Option - Same as above two only using ring shank nails.

Option - Scrub wash and strip of ALL dirt and wax. Cut out any loose, bubbling, peeling vinyl. What remains must be securely in tact. Skim coat (not floor leveler) to fill old pattern and bring any areas where insecure vinyl was removed up to level. Dried skimcoat can be sanded to remove imperfections.

Which option I would use depends on the floor condition. I've done all of the above except using ring shank nails. Screws are the sure thing. Depending on length, ring shank nails can be tricky if you are hand nailing.

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, Alsoit has so many choices; color and pattern. Some even looks like tile.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We have several vinyl samples, and they do look like tile. That's what we're going to use. Now we have to decide on the color and design.

Reply to
mcp6453

snipped-for-privacy@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for detailed procedure in case I decide to go that way.

(NOTE: Original installer did put down a plywood subfloor; sorry, I did not think to ask at that distant time whether it was luan or ?)

I do not know whether it's true what installer said about my existing vinyl being so hard to remove. If I decided to lift out a section to see whether , in fact, it is so difficult to remove, how would I proceed? Would I heat the vinyl with ? to soften it? Or?

TIA for any suggestions.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

It's glued down. Time consuming to remove. What comes off will be in small pieces. Then there is glue and irregularities left on floor. To remove & smooth, that would be a time consuming task. What is left is not a good surface for new adhesion. I would avoid this approach at all cost...personally. My guess is it's the most work resulting in the crappiest result.

The best surface is a new one. A new surface would overall require the least amout of work and mess.

Reply to
Red Green

Several years ago the installer brought a "tape down" product. He used double sided tape. The real estate agent was upset as she expected a glue down type flooring vinyl.

The floor was clean, but this guy put in the effort , cleaned more trash from the floor and used the tape. Outstanding job that day.

First time I seen a taped vinyl flooring.

Reply to
Oren