Alternative to insecticides

I prefer to avoid using insecticides indoors because of the health risks they impose. Recently I was using some cleaner called "Orange Blast". It's one of those orange cleaners that you can buy almost anywhere, and smells just like an orange. While using this cleaner, there were several flys that had gotten in the house and were on the window screen. A few squirts of this orange cleaner on the flys and they died almost instantly. I'd much rather use this cleaner than an insecticide and it smells better too. I actually think it killed the flys faster than the insecticide would, but I got it right on the flys.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Cheap hair spray works wonders on wasps and hornets (glues their wings together and they drop like a rock). The problem is that you do have to score a direct hit. I'd rather nuke the entire nest, with the queen.

Reply to
krw

Any detergent or other liquid w/ a surfactant will do the same -- the surfactant breaks down the surface tension and lets the liquid at the spiracles and drowns or cuts off air flow to them whether actually technically toxic or not...

Reply to
dpb

The problem with hairspray is the residue it leaves, especially on windows.

I go 'green' (and cheap) by cleaning my windows with vinegar and water. This mixture had a hard time with the dried hairspray from a fly killing spree I went on earlier this week.

I had to get out my favorite adhesive remover - Ronsonol lighter fluid - to break down the hairspray first.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks. I love creative uses of products.

I've had great results with products from Gardens Alive (dot com). My first was their triangle shaped pantry pest traps, which killed a lot of mealworms for me. And their liquid ant bait worked well.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The detergent has to be dissolved in DHMO, which is the lethal agent?

.

Any detergent or other liquid w/ a surfactant will do the same -- the surfactant breaks down the surface tension and lets the liquid at the spiracles and drowns or cuts off air flow to them whether actually technically toxic or not...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hit 'em in the air. The hairspray will dry before it hits the ground.

Reply to
krw

You had to be here before about another thread to understand the humor of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

For stink bugs, someone suggested mr. Clean with lavender. Works as good as any soap. I have dome to hate lavender, because it smells like bug spray. I think some insects hate lavender.

Some or all orange cleaners are oily.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

One trick I learned from the internet was to use DAWN liquid soap to shampoo a dog. It seems to repel fleas and ticks, and is a non-lethal substance. I've been using it for a few years now, and seems to work OK. Just make sure the pet doesn't have any allergic reaction.

Reply to
Robert

I got an e-mail from a friend -- She says to put four pennies in a zip lock bag and fill it half full of water. Zip it up and put it on the wall.... flies will not come near it. Something to do with the way the pennies are seen by the flies.

Reply to
Dottie

That's just plain weird. But I guess since I have all the materials, I might try it. Nothing to lose.......

Reply to
fred.flintstone