natural/organic insecticides/repellents?

i recently tarted up my herb garden again after several months. does anyone know of any good recipes for safe insecticides/repellents i can spray on them to protect them but still be able to eat them when i want to?

Megan

Reply to
Megan Milligan

What did you use? Hot pants & fishnet stockings?:)

Reply to
Twobtold

The message from "Megan Milligan" contains these words:

Herbs don't need any protection against chewing or sucking insects, they have their own. The aromatic oils which give the strong herb tastes and smells are natural repellents, that's why people put dry herbs or herb bags in linen cupboards and wardrobes.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I agree with Janet - the only herbs I've had problems with is dill (aphid infestation) but planting nasturtiums close to them diverted the aphids and no problems this yr. Never had an insect on any other herbs besides the occasional fly or bug that just happens to be 'smelling the herbs' but not feasting!

Reply to
Tina Gibson

...> > Herbs don't need any protection against chewing or sucking insects,

Japanese beetles really like my basil. Other than that, no problems.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

no problems.

Slugs like my basil - but not enough that I don't get a huge crop every yr.

Reply to
Tina Gibson

Hot pepper wax, sold in garden centers or make your own. Take three of the hottest peppers you can find on the market and blend them in a blender with about two cups of water. Strain it through a sieve and add the liquid to a gallon of water. Spray plants. Don't get it on hands or arms or in eyes.

Reply to
animaux

The message from animaux contains these words:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ *

  • Or on your lips, palate, tongue, tonsils, oesophagus or intestine.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

and gentleman wash hands before urinating!!!!

Reply to
lvhippy

Hot peppers are safe to eat. I choose not to eat them.

Reply to
animaux

lvhippy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This is good advice. For hot peppers, if you're not going to wear gloves when you pick them, wear gloves when you pee.

Reply to
Salty Thumb