Alarm System Contacts

Who was "they" and "them" here? Sounds like again, that the leadership council made a decision and as so often is the case, a large portion didn't participate.

If it was a bloc schism, that's unfortunate but things like that do, unfortunately, happen. It isn't however, a fault of the UM Church as an organization but of an individual congregation is the point.

Where was the Church Council and the congregation annual Charge Conference during all this? Again, methinks "there's more to the story" here...

¶ 252. 1. Purpose?The church council shall provide for planning and implementing a program of nurture, outreach, witness, and resources in the local church. It shall also provide for the administration of its organization and temporal life. It shall envision, plan, implement, and annually evaluate the mission and ministry of the church. The church council shall be amenable to and function as the administrative agency of the charge conference (¶ 244). ...

I would certainly have expected any major shift in programs or missions of the congregation to have been brought to the annual charge conference for authorization.

As I feared, this has gotten too far afield and too involved into the particulars of one particular congregation to be possible to sort out anything at all.

I will contend, however, that it isn't an indictment of the UM organization as a whole but within a single congregation.

If there, I'm sure I'd been on the phone w/ the District Superintendent and the Bishop on more than one occasion... :)

That also doesn't really sound right...part of the UM way is that Conference (the Bishop, primarily altho w/ advice) assigns pastors for everybody w/ a modicum of acceptance/rejection by the congregation. I would not expect for the senior pastor to be more than a single or perhaps a choice of a couple under a suggestion from the bishop.

Unlike some others who hire independently. That's just part of "the Methodist way"--has been; will always be. If it's not a fit; rarely will such an appointment last more than a couple of years, however in my observation of some 60 years or so. Sometimes there's lessons to be learned from some of these that aren't "comfortable" initially, too, though... :)

Anyway, sounds like it's all water under the bridge at this point so I'll really sign off now...

--

Reply to
dpb

Why? The Catholic's don't make up their own "Holy Books" and pass them off as "Gospel". Of course, the Vatican has *removed* original Books from the Bible were incompatible with their control of the flock.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The Irish nuns taught us Catechism of the Catholic Church, I still have knots on my head from a half century ago. There were no Bible readings like in my Protestant cousin's schools. Let's see, there was Sister Torture, Sister Autopsy, Sister Defenestration, Sister Execution, Sister Exsanguination. My first grade teacher was Sister Godzilla, an American then the principal, Mother Mothra. The Parish priest was Father Bigfoot. We small children were controlled and made to behave through the production of shear terror. As a result, I have absolutely no fear of terrorists but I do have an inexplicable fear of giant albino penguins, they invaded my dreams for many years. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

s taught us Catechism of the Catholic Church, I still have

Scissor attacks!!!! That's worst than the worst ruler across the knuckles story I've ever hear, and I grew up across the street from a huge Catholic complex (church, rectory, bingo hall, convent, school and monsignor's castle). They do have a different playbook than public schools (where I went, although I took catechism classes in the Catholic school. At 60 to 70 kids to a class, they made do by seriously downsizing the furniture. It was like a visit to Russia.

Sure you do. You write about them all the time. I don't know why. What a terrorist would want in your neck of the woulds I can't imagine. Now here in the DC area they have apparently unfinished business. People don't seem to remember that 9/11 was an encore performance. They tried once before and failed but kept trying. I worry that's the logic behing their next set of targets.

There's something about that face in the oval of white. Back in my time nuns wore habits. I don't think they do know, at least not like the old days. What's that Cheech and Chong riff, Sister Mary Elephant?

Good morning, class. Good morning, class. Class? Class!? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you. As you know your regular teacher Sister Rosetta Stone is on a small vacation. However she does send her love, at least fingerpaintings, and desk club she`s making. I am your substitute teacher, Sister Mary Elephant. Class, attention. Attention, class! Class? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you. Young man, now give me that knife. (Knife hits wall) Thank you. Now class, you all know who I am, so let`s find out who you are. Class? Class!? SHUT UP!!!!!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Maybe so. I don't have a problem with you personally, BTW. It's that annoying sig. line that provokes this (and has for years). I (and many more) don't want religion pushed in their face. Your sig. is provocative, and leads to OT crap in a home repair group.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes, and King James.

Who?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't care about the sig line because religious expression is not prohibited and shouldn't be.

I do find the top posting to purposely annoy people in a group where everyone bottom posts bizarre though.

Reply to
George

In the home-repair venue it's unexpected and unwanted. How many other participants do you see wearing their religion on each post they make?

How many of those actually solicit you to click a link for indoctrination?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't remember what they're called, but the regional church hierarchy (Bishop level).

My wife was on the search committee. Does that count for "didn't participate"?

No, it was *not* at the congregation level. It was *forced* down on them.

Probably. It was six or eight years ago and I tried to stay out of it. When one has a seriously pissed SWMBO, it's sometimes hard to pull off. ;-)

Ditto.

Reply to
krw

Right. It's easily ignored. Those who refuse to ignore it have only themselves to blame. They're looking to be offended.

Right again. Worse, his signature is in the wrong place and makes a mess of the context. It has *nothing* to do with the content, rather form.

Reply to
krw

Having trouble with comprehension?

Reply to
krw

And furthermore (damn, I swore I wouldn't get involved in this!) many of us probably know much more about The Subject than you do!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No, who says it makes them un-Christian?

Reply to
G. Morgan

The subject of LDS church? Have at it....

I'll just put a link to the KKK signup page on my sig. and I'm sure no one will mind..?

Reply to
G. Morgan
1666 lines of {nothing} ?
Reply to
G. Morgan

Gee, sounds just like the Catholic church....

Just sayin'.

(Personally, I think all organized religions are con jobs. But whatever it takes them to get through the night without screaming, I guess....)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Er, no. It was the Church that decided what comprised the Bible in the first place; in other words, the early Church DEFINED what books would go into the official canon. The collection was first decided by Council of Laodicea in A.D. 363 and confirmed by subsequent conclaves.

The folks in these assemblies would take issue with the notion that they decided which writings would define the New Testament. Their position was that GOD decided which books and they were only His instrument in carrying out His will.

Nevertheless. . . .

Reply to
HeyBub

Go for it. That might even make you look dumber than you do now.

Reply to
krw

Nothing, as far as I'm concerned, however that was your position.

You commented on the thread of the LDS not being Christian with statements that I turned around as also applying to the RCC, to which you agreed. By indirection, you agreed that the RCC isn't Christian.

Reply to
krw

I guess I'm not the only one who made that connection. He's said that he doesn't believe the Catholic Church is Christian either.

Why all the angst about what others need "to get through the night without screaming"?

Reply to
krw