air nailer advice for trim work

I may be redoing all the trim in my house (baseboards, around the doors, and some new crown molding). Need to know 2 things:

a) what size nail to use. I've heard 15ga,16g, and 18g, and what type of nail? b) what brand of air nailer to go with? I have HD/Lowes brands to choose from; Porter-Cable, Bostitch, Hitachi, and Senco, or I can go with Paslode system

Reply to
Evan Mann

15ga oilfree angle nailer. Others are good but less versatile. Brand is up to you. I have the Bostitch and love it. Even for framing heavy work it's handy. Those long 2.5 nails are like having a third hand. You can tack stuff into place with the very light weight 15 ga and bang them in with your framer later.
Reply to
richard

15ga oilfree angle nailer. Others are good but less versatile. Brand is up to you. I have the Bostitch and love it. Even for framing heavy work it's handy. Those long 2.5 nails are like having a third hand. You can tack stuff into place with the very light weight 15 ga and bang them in with your framer later.
Reply to
richard

"Evan Mann" wrote

I have a Senco Finish Pro35, and a Hitachi NT65AA. I like the Hitachi better, it fits the hand better, seems better made, has a nicer grip, seems better balanced, and weighs less than the Senco. Of course it's a little more money, but I like this gun. Draw back on the Hitachi, if you hit something you didn't want to, it does not have a jamb clear out like the Senco and takes a little more work to clear. These are 15 gage nailers, which is ideal for crown molding and all your trim work needs.

Contrary to what another poster said about using it as a framing nailer. DON'T.

Reply to
Josh

Can't you read? It's very handy for tacking stuff in place when you are working alone. THEN you haul out the heavy framing nailer to finish up.

Reply to
richard

wrote

You frame walls laying down then standing up, a finish nailer would over double your work for this and be totally assinine to do. Only an idiot would think of "tacking" something "in place" especially if you can't handle it by yourself and trusting it to hold, _especially_ working alone. I guess you proved what you are, nuff said. You are giving out some dangerous advice. Not to worry, you're not the first idiot in a NG to give out dangerous advice.

Reply to
Josh

Who said anything about walls dumbass? It can be VERY handy stick framing a roof, building a fence, renovating.

Reply to
richard

wrote

Why do you open your mouth? To change feet?

WTF, stick frame a roof with a finish nailer? LOL. You clueless moron, that is so friggin dangerous, you're wanting to get someone killed. You don't build a fence with a finish nailer, or to tack a board up for a fence, if you can't handle hand nailing/screwing/ or using a framing nailer with the proper nails, maybe you should use a nailer with corrosive nails to "tack" up fence boards. Oh yeah, renovate with a finish nailer. What a chump hack you must be.

You're the clueless idiot giving out the dangerous advice, and I highly doubt you even have a finish nailer let alone a compressor to run it.

Take your dangerous idiotic advice elsewhere.

You have yet once again proved how little you know.

If a framing nailer is "too heavy" for the little girl, it's time to get a man to do the job.

Reply to
Josh

I doubt you even know how to stick frame a roof. In fact I doubt you know much of anything. Your inability to comprehend that a person can build anything ALONE is proof of that. Only an idiot who has never worked in the business thinks EVERY wall can be framed up laying down. I've built and sold 12 houses, including the one I'm living in now, at least twice that many custom barns, everything except, concrete, roofing and electrical done by me, working alone. The 15ga nailer is worth more than a paid helper.

I'll be buying a lot and starting my next house just as soon as I'm laid off. You on the other hand will continue to collect your welfare check and post nonsense to news groups.

Reply to
richard

Comments for the idiot inserted. snipped-for-privacy@moronsRus.org wrote

Not with a finish nailer. Next question

Not dangerously, but you proved by continuously showing how dangerous you are.

Every wall in new contruction _is_ built laying down, unless you don't have a clue. But then a little girl with a finish nailer, stick framing a roof wouldn't have a clue. Would they?

LOL, you can't even explain the proper use of a finish nailer. You can't even build that fence you talked about. You _do NOT_ use a finish nail for a fence mr. dangerous moron.

BS somewhere else, everyone reading this thread knows better.

You continuously show your ignorance. A helper is worth their weight in gold, unless you don't have a clue. And we already know what you don't have a clue.

Layed off? LOL, you're not even worth much to the company you work for. Much less use to this NG. Good Grief man, if you're going to try to BS, at least read about the subject b/4 you open your mouth. Had you built 12 houses, all by yourself, you must be layed off for a long long time. You're really useless to anyone. Kinda Sad, it must suck to be you.

You know, you're a pretty funny guy, too bad you're serious about the dangerous advice you give out. I see you've joined Stormon & Dave as the local hacks.

Reply to
Josh

I'm a sheet metal worker 25 years with same company. They lay me off when I want to be laid off, not the other way round. I could work 365 days a year if I chose.

Reply to
richard

18ga has it's place but not much good without glue. More of a clamp than a nail.

My previous 15ga was a straight, angled is much much better.

I have never jammed mine. Just lucky. I have heard there are some bad nails out there that do jam quite often. I use 2.5 and 2 inch Bostitch brand only. They do like to come straight back at ya once in a while.

Reply to
richard

Could you explain exactly in what way his advice is dangerous?

Reply to
Mark

It's not, it's safer. I'm just trying to point out that a 15ga 2.5 nailer is very handy for more than trim and cabinets. Often dragging a big framing nailer, especially when you must hold your work with your free hand is very dangerous. I've seen plenty of people nail themselves. The Bos 15 ga is very light and you have a great deal of control. The 2.5 15ga nail will hold almost anything in place. Perfect for doing roof trusses by yourself. Also if you leave a good 1/4 of the nail exposed you can yank them out with pliers.

Reply to
richard

Hi Mark,

It's apparent the poster snipped-for-privacy@shoprat.org never did any work which involved permits or OSHA compliance. I would say his advice could be fit for building a roof system on a dog house, if you wanted to get rid of your dog.

Model Building Codes dictate Fastener Tolerances which comply with OSHA. The 15 gage fastener does not meet ASTMF 1667. It lacks Bending Yield Strength, Holding Strength, Allowable Shear Strength for Wind or Seismic Loading. You must use at least a 3-1/2" length with a 0.162 diameter even for temporary "tacking", he is advising a 2-1/2" length with a 0.072 diameter.

His method could maim or kill a person. If this method was used on a job site, it would bring a minimum of a $10,000.00 fine and the abuser would be banned from the job site.

I hope this helped.

Reply to
Leo

Hi Josh. Changing your name in this group isn't going to make any difference. You're still an idiot who can't read. Perhaps your time would be better spent working on your reading comprehension.

Reply to
richard

Hi Evan, A few words of advice,

try to get a 15 guage nailer, not a 16 or 18

get one that can shoot 2-1/2 in. nails, (some only shoot 2")

get one that uses the angle nail feed, NOT the straight, this actually makes a difference

that said,all the major brands are very competitive & close in quality, although I have heard the bostich has a good jam clearing mechanism.

Reply to
twiedeman

Porter Cable has always been solid. There's a special (also at Amazon(!) with free shiping) for one with a couple nailers and a pancake compressor.

With regard to home depot (and likely lowes): They demand vendors meet certain price points.

MANY manufacturers, to get prices low enough, compromise their tools and make an "HD" version. After a buddy has a SawsAll swiped, he gave in and got a new one at HD, not his usual place because it was $100 less.

After 18months of not too hard use (he's rehabbing his own house, so not 2 years in 10 houses working it every day), the thing died. He called up Milwaukee and learned that HIS model has a 1 year warrantee and plastic parts inside. REAL SawsAlls have all metal parts inside.

welcome to discount "home repair" stores.

(I like the extra wet, uncured wood or the 7'10" plywood.)

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes

I've got to agree with the other's suggestions: a 15ga *angled* nailer. I've got a Senco SFN40 that works like a champ! It's well-built, reliable, and precise. I love it. In fairness, I haven't used any other brand's finisher recently for comparison purposes (though I do have a P- C framing gun I'm also quite happy with). The Senco finisher does everything I need it to do.

Also, for fine (built-up) trim work, particularly where I'm using glue, I also like to use a Senco brad-nailer.

Happy building, Joe

Reply to
Joe Doe