18 yd. stamped concrete patio pour is complete

18 yd. stamped concrete patio pour is complete. Weeks to prepare, and less than six hours to pour and finish. Now, 30 days to cure, and stain and seal. Looks good. Be happy when it's all done. Lots of Windsor wall and tile work and planter stuff left to do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And years of satisfaction. . .

Did you stamp/stain it, or hire it out? I just saw you said it gets stained in 30 days. Is that better than the color they add at time of pour?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thats what "Summer" is for.

Reply to
Rudy

I hired it out for 1/3 of the cost it would have cost in this area a year ago during busy construction times. The man came highly recommended from a custom housing tract we did a real estate survey for. They used a roller for a stamp. It all looks nice.

If you add colorant to wet concrete, the color is consistent throughout. But if you stain it later, you can come up with variant colors. He has done two new Maverick gas stations in our area, which we went and looked at. The floors are concrete, but slick as polished wood gymnasium floors. Not my choice, but theirs. The colorations are very varied. They are also going to stain some concrete that was done earlier, and claim to be able to match it all "pretty close". If they get it close at all, I'll be impressed, as the current color is somewhere between pink and purple. Then the seal, which will have to be redone every five years or so, at $30 a gallon. But an easy spray job a DIYer can do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Summer" is already here, in the nineties. Summer is for fishing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not if you live in Phoenix!

Jerry

Reply to
JerryM

Not if you live in Phoenix!

Summer in Phoenix is for going up to Lake Roosevelt with the pontoon boat

Reply to
Rudy

Steve,

Was there a rubber pad, with a pattern under the roller? The stamps I've seen here, they use dense pads with the pattern and sometimes tamping by hand to transfer the pattern onto the pad while still wet.

Reply to
Oren

Not if you live in Phoenix!

Jerry

Moved out of Las Vegas May first a year ago. I think of it about three seconds a month now. Sometimes not at all. We do have to go there occasionally, and it's like knowing you're going for a root canal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This was a cylinder about three feet wide by one foot in diameter, a shaft through its center, with handles like a lawnmower. A very simple device. The surface was made out of rubber, or something soft. I would suspect a repeating pattern, but observed none.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks. Perhaps the roller has one pattern. Interesting if they could change the pad on the roller. I haven't seen it done that way. Only by hand. They laid the pad, got the pattern and move over three rows of pads. They used three pads, I guess for rotation and uniformity.

Reply to
Oren