Adding whole house fan

We were thinking of adding a whole house fan to our two story house.

is this something that is normally DIY? Assuming I can run the power myself.

Is there a typical installation location? Can this be installed in the attic access hole? Assuming I will only need access to work on things in the attic - not to store stuff.

Anyone have one and think it is a waste?

Reply to
The dude

I think it would be a pretty big job, but doable if you're well skilled.

I doubt you should put it in the access hole. They (at least the one we have) need a sturdy mount, which would mean no more access hole.

FWIW, we have one and don't use it much. The problem is that around here (Austin, Texas), it's generally either too hot or too cold for it to be useful. We seem to get very little temperate weather. Plus, on the cool days, the humidity is often quite high, and so is the pollen/mold/allergen count.

I'm much more excited about our attic exhaust fan, which seems to make a big difference in the ability of our A/C to get the job done efficiently.

YMMV.

Reply to
CJT

I am outside of Chicago. In our existing house, there are many days when the house is hotter on the inside due to the temp drop in the evening.

Reply to
The dude

A common area is the upper floor hallway or in the ceiling of an attached garage. Best to have a separate access hole and attic fan--House fans should be secured into the joists to prevent vibration issues. I have one and installed a timer wall switch. Nice to have

2 or 3 speeds. This is a good DIY project. The louvered cover cost was somewhat expensive, about the price of the fan itself, but you need a good one that seals to block out drafts and stop insects.
Reply to
Phisherman

The main thing to consider is the exhaust area in the attic. You'll need TEN (10) Square feet of exhaust area for a 30" fan. Bigger fan, even more area. And yes, the upstairs hallway is a common place for a fan. You'll need to cut at least one ceiling joist and box in the area. The electrical is really the simple part. And yes, you can leave the fan just sitting on the newly created box you've framed in and that can be your attic access.

Steve Barker DLT

If it vibrates, it needs to be taken back and a GOOD one purchased. The fan doesn't need any attachment, only to sit on a half inch of foam weatherstripping to cut down on noise transmission. In fact, if you screw or nail it down, it will only get louder.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT