Adding a pull down stair to access the attic????

I have a split level house. 1 level in the front with 2 levels in the back. I have acces to attic space above the front level but to get into the attic above the back half of the house I have to go into the front half attic and squeeze between the roof rafters. I used to be able to do this but over the years the space between the rafters seems to have gotten smaller!!!

I have to get in there to take care of a few things. Whats the best way to create access? I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the upstairs hallway???? How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs would be going against the rafters not with them so I would have to cut through 5 - 7 rafters??? Is this a problem?

2nd choice is adding a large vent on the side of the house that is on hinges. I could use a ladder, unpadlock the vent, swing it open and crawl in the opening.

Any advice welcome!!!!!

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Never cut more than one joist and then you have to know how to create the proper headers for the one you cut. If you can't find a spot where the length of the pulldown runs with the joists you are most likely going to have to find another option.

I will add that there is a small possibility since this is in a hall that it can be done but it is going to take a pro looking at it to determine if those hall walls are suitably supported under the floor and can carry the load. Based on your questions you will not be able to make that determination.

BTW, I share your pain. There are a lot of places I used to fit into that I no longer do.:))))

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If you can't find a spot where the

thats what I susspected!

thanks

Reply to
steve

Steve,

One thing I ran across in some discussion here (as I recall) that you may want to think about. If the attic has electrical wires in it like mine, putting stairs up there may put you out of code compliance. Wires can be exposed if the attic is only accessible via a ladder. If there is are stairs, the wires have to be covered. Or at least that's what I believe I read here. No expert.

Ed

through 5 - 7

Reply to
Jag Man

Only if you want your roof to stay where it is; i.e., up.

Reply to
dadiOH