ADA outdoor handrail material

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke. What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood, composite, metal?

Reply to
Tekkie®

"handicap"? You shall be shot!

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Unless it was a dowel, it probably was not legal anyway. The rail has pretty specific outer diameter requirements. They really like 2" OD pipe.

This is all in the Florida code that is a direct lift from the US ADA and the ICC codes

505.7 Cross Section. Handrail gripping surfaces shall have a cross section complying with 505.7.1 or 505.7.2.

505.7.1 Circular Cross Section. Handrail gripping surfaces with a circular cross section shall have an outside diameter of 11/4 inches (32 mm) minimum and 2 inches (51 mm) maximum.

505.7.2 Non-Circular Cross Sections. Handrail gripping surfaces with a non-circular cross section shall have a perimeter dimension of 4 inches (100 mm) minimum and 61/4 inches (160 mm) maximum, and a cross-section dimension of 21/4 inches (57 mm) maximum.
Reply to
gfretwell

I'd use a composite. If you want to meet compliance be sure to check the specs if you have not done so as it has to be a specific size.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

I feel that way already...

Reply to
Tekkie®

It was not a dowel but ADA compliant piece of wood.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

The handrail attaches to a face board that is attached to the posts.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Thank you. I was favoring that because I am afraid of ice buildup. I will check span lengths so it will be supported properly.

Reply to
Tekkie®