AC Question

Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window open to stop the humidity?

Reply to
gigi

The heat that's supposed to be pumped out to the outside will be pumped right back into the room.

Reply to
jerryl

And, the substantial amount of electricity used by the AC is all turned into heat above and beyond the heat that is being pumped from one spot in the room (in front of the AC) to another spot (behind the AC), meaning the room will not only not cool off, but it will actually heat up as much as if you were running small electric heater.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

The AC takes the heat from the room and puts it outside. If you don't put the unit in a window, it will just recirculate the heat plus add the heat from the motors in it making things worse. It MUST be through a window or wall.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was actually rather suprised, a local hardware store had a a/c unit on display *in* the store. The unit actually produced a substantial amount of cool air comming out of the front of the unit.

That being said, it is not very efficient as you mention below, and I would like to include there needs to be a place for the water to go.

I would suggest investigating a portable air conditioner unit that vents out a window.

regards, JW

Edw> > Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the

Reply to
Justin West

If the unit is working , it will put out cool air where it is suspose to, but it will also put out hot air out the back. The net effect is a small ammount of heat gain due to the motors running. Running the AC inside is the same thing as dehumidifier, just probably not as good.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sure, and the fans on display were blowing cool air also. At home they just seem to blow hot air.

did you step around the back of that AC unit?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Few posts addressed your humitidy question. I'm pretty sure it will cause humidity to condense on the cold end of the AC, which will drain to the lowest corner of the AC and dribble out.

Unless you have a water sling ring and then the water will be splashed against the condensor fins, where it will evaporate again.

I would ask what model AC you have, to determine the question in the previous paragraph, but yours is such a bad idea, it's not worth it.

The extra heat you generate will be more enough to make you less comfortable, even if you lose some humitidy. The fan makes some heat, and the compressor makes a lot more, whatever the ID plate says that it uses in watts is how much heat you'll be making, in watts, when the compressor is running, in addition to what is already there.

They make dehumidifiers that are something like ACs, but they design it for this situtaion.

If you decide to put it in a window, post back with details of the window and how high you are. I would advise building a strong shelf outside the window, to rest the AC on, so that merely opening the window doesn't cause the AC to fall out. If you have wooden windowsills, I would STRONGLY advice using nails some of which are driven in at one angle, and others are driven in leaning at a simlar agnel but in the OPPOSITE direction. If all nails are parallel they can all come out at once, by the weight of the AC. Plonk, down it and the AC goes. Maybe someone is underneath it.

When I did this, I left the nail heads sticking out a quarter inch, so that I would be able to remove the nails when I wanted to remove the shelf. Nails sticking out like this might be a hazard, but I was the only person who ever opened these two windows. (One just had a planter, and then a charcoal grill. The other had the AC.) It occurs to me now that I moved out in the middle of May, after 10 years, and I forgot to hammer in the nails or take them out. Oh well. They were just big finishing nails. Not that dangerous.

Reply to
mm

I've noticed that my local Walmart and Lowes and Home Depot all sell portable AC units. They come with a tube that you stick out the window.

They also cost more than double that of a window unit.

Reply to
JimL

Yes, you can run an AC without a window. However, the effect is the same as running about a 700 watt space heater. Cause all the heat from the room goes back into the room. Plus the couple hundred watts of power that ran the motor on the compressor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, a friend told me to watch during the winter to buy one. Walmart has the largest number of brands. They are cheaper in the winter, of course.

Reply to
gigi