A light switch that does

MW> I just bought a house that has a light switch that controls nothing! How MW> do I trace what this switch is supposed to do without ripping out walls to MW> trace the wiring? Suggestions? (now... be nice) ;-)

Maybe it does do nothing! When we had the addition done here a couple of summers ago they undid the wiring for a spotlight on the back of the house (the spotlight was moved and connected to a new switch). The old switch is still there, with wiring into the ceiling zig-zagged in between the joists so if we ever wanted to add some accent lights against the wall we could.

As far as tracing I've used a signal injector (for audio electronics troubleshooting) and an AM radio. Make certain the switch is off so no power when the injector's probe is connected to the wire. (And yes, I'm aware not everyone happens to have a signal injector! )

  • Unknown Saints: St Consuela of Macarena, Saint of Those w/ 2 Left Feet
Reply to
barry martin