A circuit that outputs 3V when there was a pulse

Is there a simple circuit that does that?

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

How long does the 3V need to last? What should happen if there is another pulse during the desired "3V on" duration?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I want to flash a super-bright LED when there is an incoming phone call. Talking about the good, old fixed-line telephone.

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Pretty easy to do with chips. Get a ring detector chip and an SCR. Connect the ring detect to the gate of the SCR and reset it by opening the circuit to the LED on the SCR anode.

Reply to
gfretwell

You mean to make something like this:

Retired

A quick google produced this, which is cheap and should serve the purpose:

That's first thing I saw, probably more on Ebay, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Could you name one chip?

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

How bright do you need? They did this 50 years ago with a neon bulb.

No extra diodes, resistors, etc. are required. I assume that the voltage & current are still within the same tolerances.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I thought he wanted the LED to latch on to show a missed call. If you just want to light a LED when the bell is ringing I would put a couple hundred volt silicon diode (1n4003 or similar) in series with a

6.8k or so resistor and the LED. That should get you close to a typical 15ma through the LED. Lower ohm resistor will get you a brighter LED ... until you blow it. Check the spec if you want to be pedantic about it. Dr Ohm will give you guidance based on 100v or so ring voltage.
Reply to
gfretwell

I found that neon bulb inside the handset of the fixed-line telephone. I wanna make it flash brighter, so I want to replace with a modern LED.

SO how could I replace this neon bulb with a modern LED?

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

You;ve been given several suggestions now, from a cheap ring detector module that has a relay output that you can buy, to putting a diode and resistor with LED on the phone line. And you didn't initially say where this has to fit, exactly what you're trying to do. It's still far from clear. Now it sounds like you want to replace an existing neon bulb in an old phone, where that bulb is probably driven directly by the ring voltage? In that case, Gfre's solution of a diode and resistor with LED sounds like it could work.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks! Will look into that and do my homework first.

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang