A/C question

Hello fellow DIY-ers,

My electric A/C stop cooling yesterday.

The fan is blowing but not cold air.

Got Train gas furnace and electric A/C unit which is about 16 y old and am curious is it fixable or do I need to shop for another one??? What do I need to check and how to do that?? ANy idea is more than welcome.

Leaving in Jamestown, NC and these days it's getting hot here.

Thanks.

Dino

Reply to
dino k

With out knowing more about what is wrong, it is rather difficult to say. If it is a cheap fix, then it may be good to repair it, if it is going to be an expensive fix, I would replace it. Buying a new unit is going to reduce your operating cost as today's units are more efficient. Just ware that dividing line is depends on a lot of things including where you live and where you live would tend to tip the scales towards replacement.

Consider that even with a repair you will have a 16+ year old unit which could have an expensive repair at any time and is costing you more to run than the replacement will.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There may be a fuse for the compressor unit located in a box near the outside unit. If that blows, but the breaker does not trip, you can have the air handler running without the compressor. I'd check for that first and make sure there is 240V getting to the unit.

Reply to
trader4

Could be a lot of things. Typical service call is $75 to $125. At 16 years, it may be worth a cheap fix, but not worth anything very expensive because other components will eventually be going. If it is more than a couple of hundred $$, consider getting a new one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You probably have a condenser unit outside for the AC system. Is the fan and the compressor motor for IT running when the AC is on?? Knowing the answer to this question would go a long way in determining what MIGHT be wrong.

Reply to
Ken

Probably fixable. Check the outdoor unit, to see if it's getting power.

Disconnect the power, and check the capacitor for farad ratign versus actual farad ability.

Why don't you stay home instead of leaving?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon