A/C Question

I'm in the process of changing out my furnace and have gotten a few quotes but here's an interesting question.

The AC unit outside (a 10SEER 2.5ton) has been replaced not too long ago and is in fact still under warranty. In changing out the evaporator coil and to protect for a bigger AC unit later down the line, it was suggested that I go with a 3ton evap with a TXV valve...

Question: Does this mix cause any angst for the AC unit (the condensor?)

Thanks

Reply to
johntheos

Absolutely NOT.

In fact, I'd go with at least a 48 (4 ton) on the evap coil. It runs more efficiently and will save you money in the long run although it costs a few bucks more to install.

.
Reply to
JimL

thanks for the info Jim..

i do have a question though...isn't there a point though at which point the 'weak' link would be the condensor and it's ability to remove as much heat from the freon as possible? A 2.5t condensor mated to a 4t evap coil is almost a 2:1 ratio ; plus I'm guessing you would need a 4t blower as well right?

Reply to
JTheos

When I first found out that the highest SEER ratings always occurred on UNMATCHED indoor/outdoor coils, I also asked myself the same question.

Fortunately, you don't have to wonder. Just check out the literature on the products and it will give you the seer for the different matches. You are right in some cases as the SEER on a 3 ton outside unit with a 5 ton coil is less than with a 4 ton coil. Obviously, other factors than the size of indoor coils determine efficiency.

Reply to
JimL