A/C Heating - Need bipartisan advice!

Looks like my A/C Heating unit may be toast. (1700 sq ft house, natural gas, Austin TX)

I was already warned my a/c was on it's last leg because we had to put in

4.5lbs of Freon this summer.

I went to turn on my heater this morning and it wouldn't come on. It just made a buzzing noise. I felt the blower motor and it was hot so I turned it off, spun it and it came on but with a new grinding noise and water (!) came out of the vent! So I immediately shut it off.

I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new unit and I have the money saved for it.

Where would you start? I've read horror stories about incompetent installers. I want a licensed professional and I don't mind paying for it.

I've seen some ads for Goodman's starting at $3750 installed. Is that too cheap?

TIA

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

What you really need to do, is find out who's good, reliable, and reasonably priced, in your area. I'd suggest calling friends and neighbors. If you know other types of contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc, call them too, and see if they know HVAC people that they like

Reply to
RBM

Absolutely. It is far more difficult to find a good contractor than to find a good unit. When you find a good contractor they will be able to provide you with a range of options and explain the pros and cons of each.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more than the brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having problems now.

My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts. My wife knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple miles north) but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the motor. It's still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray needs to work it's way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

Thanks

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

It's NEVER, not appropriate to ask for any contractor's license. That being said, in many areas getting a license can be little more than paying a fee. Certainly the BBB may know of the most horrendous contractors, but not the really good ones. You may want to let this NG know where you live, at the off chance someone here knows of someone there.

Reply to
RBM

I put Austin TX in the OP. There are a few Austinites here.

I was asking about the installer's license.

Thanks

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

Your real estate broker, neighbors, the home inspector you had, should know a few good contractors. There are alot of options available these days and some very high efficency equipment, do research before buying.

should help.

Reply to
ransley

Your real estate broker, neighbors, the home inspector you had, should know a few good contractors. There are alot of options available these days and some very high efficency equipment, do research before buying.

should help.

Thanks...Good advice but the two realtors I've met here I wouldn't ask how to boil a pot of water.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

If your hand will fit a wrench, you should be able to replace the motor for a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove the old motor, take it to Graingers, say: "Gimme one like this."

Reply to
HeyBub

The motor looks like it *could* be easily replaced. I was wondering how it is attached to the fan and do I need to remove the fan housing?

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

Sorry, I was momentarily confused by your other identity. I was referring to the installer's license

Reply to
RBM

I agree, while I personally get lots of work through local brokers, most real estate people would be the last ones I'd ask, in fact lots of brokers have tried to establish preferred contractor's lists, for which contractors pay to be on.

Reply to
RBM

Goodman, Armstrong and Janitrol look like clones to me and are what I would call value priced contractor grade units. Another brand in the same category is Ducane. I've installed or repaired them all and the units are good for the price. If installed properly and maintained, will last for years. Trane, Carrier, American Standard and Lennox are considered high end units. American Standard an Trane are like Chevrolet and GMC, almost identical, same parent company. If you get the lower priced units, they'll work just fine and I'd ask the installer to add an anti short cycle timer or install a digital thermostat that has one built in. This will keep the compressor from slamming on and off with power blinks or from rapid cycling due to someone playing with the thermostat. The high end units will usually have that and all sorts of other safeties built in.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If you can disconnect the wires and mark them, the whole squirrel cage blower assembly can be taken out by removing a couple of sheet metal screws or hex nuts then sliding the blower out of the furnace. Afterwards, the motor can be removed from the housing. Around here most of us take the whole thing to one of the local electric motor shops to get the motor changed out, tested and the squirrel cage wheel and blower housing sandblasted clean.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

At a moment like this, I open the phone book. Call the companies with the smallest ads. And see which ones talk straight, and make sense when they speak. Call three of them over, for an estimate. And choose the one that is polite, easygoing, and doesn't try to push you or rush you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What does he do about the water coming from the vents?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The water might be a clogged AC drain, you need a service and to learn how it all works. Then shop for instalers and equipment.

Reply to
ransley

Get at least three estimates. If possible, meet on site and talk to them and try to get a feel for whether they know what they are doing. Last time I had to replace a unit I got prices from $3500 up to $6000. Low end was Goodman's and high end was Trane but price wasn't the only factor. The Trane guys didn't really sound all that sharp whereas the Goodman guy seemed to know what he was doing. Can't recall the guy in the middle. For good or bad, you can't go by price very much as a measure of competence. Also give some thought to how satisfied you were with the cooling performance of the old unit.... was it adequate for really hot days? If not, you might want to bump up another half ton in capacity.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

my hvac system just went out this summer. the most important thing you can do is find a good installer with knowledge, ask friends,bosses,etc. 2nd, is to find a matching system that you like. I had a 30 year old singer die, and decided to do the whole thing. research,research,research. down to model numbers when they deliver the unit and plop it down in the driveway go out and get the serial numbers off of the box. I did and put them stickers on the unit after install

I ended up going with a carrier infinity model 80,000btu all the way with a 3.5 ton a/c. before I was using a 1 ton. remember things are getting cooler anymore (global warming) so go larger for the a/c unit. the digital controls and upgrades are awesome and get a furance with hepa filter. this is for a 2400sqft home.

I did so much research I pissed off the installer guy by being a know it all. they did a awesome install job. I dropped close to 7 grand on it.

Reply to
flir67

Goodman is nothing but a piece of shit. They have the best warranty out there because you will need it. Run as fast as you can from anyone that suggests Goodman/Amana! I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd