A Bag of Charcoal

I don't bleat merrily. I pay attention when I'm shopping. If I see the size has decreased I say, "Either they had to increase prices or decrease quantity. It's the same result in the end."

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

It sure screws up some of the old recipes. When they want a full pound of an item which used to be the way it was packaged and it now comes in

12 or even 14 oz instead of a pound. Really screws it up when you have no idea how much was in the original one bag or jar the recipe called for.

I had to replace some of the floor in a bathroom that got water soaked. The plywood had changed sizes, but was able to find two smaller sizes that matched the original one piece.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On 07/01/2017 1:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote: ...

But the one is much more devious than being up front with the price increase. I suspect there was quite a lot of research done on perception and how to increase profit at minimal disturbance of the customer prior to the introduction of the rampant size reductions in virtually all products.

Even the 20-lb cat food was turned into 18-lb bag, _plus_ they raised the price. The 40-lb'ers are still 40-lb and the same price as they were before the raise on the 18's for the same product so it isn't that they "had" to raise price; just saw and took the opportunity to increase profit margin for what is, I'm sure, the far more commonly purchased quantity.

Reply to
dpb

Hopefully humans can avoid the self-destruct switch but I believe the deck will get shuffled, cut, and reshuffled. The Band-Aid box is empty and too much isn't working.

Reply to
rbowman

Ever ask yourself why they 'had to'? Ever ask yourself where the extra money goes when it leaves your purse?

Reply to
rbowman

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 05:58:41p, rbowman told us...

Hopefully! I don't mean to bring politis into this thread, but really do worry about the blithering idiot we have in charge. I will say no more on that subject.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 06:00:27p, rbowman told us...

DOes it really matter? There's precious little I can do about it. What I do watch very carefully is my budget.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

At least with juries, they can be removed, but they still get to vote.

Reply to
Meanie

I'm just an observer wondering if the masses are readying the pitchforks. If so, I pop up a batch of corn and watch the show.

Reply to
rbowman

What bothers me most is the increasing amount of packaging per serving. With less product per package we end up paying more for packaging and more of it ends up in landfill.

Reply to
edsamson60062

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 08:12:46p, rbowman told us...

lol

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Ah. I don't use recipes that call for packages. They all use "cups" or something like that. More often I cook from no recipe at all.

That is a problem. We built a deck in 2003 and had to replace one or two boards on the steps a couple of years later. They were thinner, and we had to replace the entire step.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Sure. A lot of it goes to increased costs in materials, energy, and labor.

I don't make the same amount of money that I did 20 years ago, and I don't pay the same for a pound of beef that I did 20 years ago.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

And the increased cost of materials, etc? From roughly 1200 to 1500 prices were stable. Black Death and the influx of gold and silver from the New World upset the dynamics for a couple of centuries, then prices stabilized again. Barring external circumstances like those the usual cause of inflation is the debasement of the currency by the government. Adopting a fiat currency and the manipulations of central banks facilitates debasement. Cui bono?

Reply to
rbowman

The economy between 1200 and 1500 was nothing like the U.S. economy, nor would we want it to be.

Cindy Hamiltonn

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I suppose not if you're good on an economy based on debt and consumerism.

Reply to
rbowman

The agrarian economy that worked under feudalism would not work in the U.S. today.

Feel free to time travel back there, if you wish. I'm going to continue on to the future.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I was going to say - my home. But upon reflection it might be a homeless shelter or a gov't food program.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

I go to the local meat market.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Cindy Hamilton posted for all of us...

Or quality - New & improved - isn't. Bigger & better - isn't.

Reply to
Tekkie®