40" (manual) push mower?

Gone from 1/8 acre lawn to 1/3.

Push mower doesn't cut it

but Electric seems lazy to me

wondering how I could get a WIDER manual (no-powered) mower

plus all the hassles with power mowers, gas/batt fires, accidentally mowing (cutting) power wire, finding/swapping an outlet

Reply to
vjp2.at

Consumer Reports didn't rate one if it exists. The largest is 22". That holds true for the self propelled ones as well. The top rated tractor style mowers are all John Deere. CR has the S100 rated as a Smart Buy at $2400. The deck on it is 42". The cheapest zero turn is Snapper 360Z 2691652 at $3000. It has a 42" deck. Popular Mechanics has some larger push mowers here.

Dean Hoffman

Here's a 1 horsepower riding mower - it looks to have about a 45 inch cut :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

You must be a rather strong guy. Most are about 20" and the one you want will take about twice the effort to push.

Maybe you can get something from the farm implement store and harness yourself to it. Pull this around and get done quickly

Ed P

Do you remember the walk behind garden tractors? At least one company is still going.

. It powers the old time sickle bar mower.

Dean Hoffman

Vasos asked about unpowered mowers, not powered mowers

I think trying to push a 40" unpowered mower would be nigh impossible.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

get an old ground drive siikle mower

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's been decades since I've pushed a manual lawnmower but I certainly wouldn't want to push a 40" one. I would think maintaining a consistent distance between the reel and bedknife would be difficult over that long a span too. I can't think of a way to have a center bearing without leaving a gap in the reel blades.

Reply to
rbowman

For people who can't push that much and don't want to buy a tractor, but have a big yard, maybe there is a lawn mowing thing you can pull behind your car.

Reply to
micky

Thanks joining my new neighbors in disabusing me of my fantasy.

We had a manual in 1965-72 then got a Black & Decker which lived until 2015 when I went back to manual.

But having moved from 1/8 acre to 1/3 acre, the push mower just doesn't, well, cut it. esp the gopher holes.

(Posted questions on my new Ryobi under different thread).

Reply to
vjp2.at

I don't have to cut my grass. I contribute $60 a month to a local charity, Mike's Beer Fund, and the grass get cut.

Reply to
Ed P

I had a deal like that one but Mike died and I was thrust into lawn maintenance in my golden years. The local juvenile delinquents aren't interested in free enterprise and bringing in a lawn service would be overkill.

It's good exercise. According to the GPS I walk about a mile and a quarter pushing the TroyBilt.

Reply to
rbowman