3d software for plumbing

does anyone know if this exists? I have horrendous new internal drain problem and I need to draw it out for assistance. After all a picture is worth a thousand words.

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

so get some isometric graph paper and start drawing. heck do it without isometric graph paper.

or if you must, most generic cad programs have an isometric mode.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

But what is so complicated OP needs a 3D view for is the ????

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

well, isometric is a 2d representation of a 3d system. its perfect for piping because piping is a 3d system and pipes will travel in all 3 planes. you can do it orthographically (top, front, side) but you can see it all at once with an isometric view and only need one drawing.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Well, I understand that, I was wondering what the op's problem was that was complicated enough problem to actually need the view...plant piping, yes, but this is (supposedly) home repair.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

imho, its still much easier if you can visualize it. pretty hard to hit a target you cant see...

or to put it another way, if you cant figure out how to draw it, i dont think you have much chance of building it right.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

...regarding drawing plumbing layout...

single-dwelling plumbing is pretty much just point-to-point from supply to fixtures, fixtures to drain...I am still curious as to what the OP was up to...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

in which case it would be easy to draw...

my guess was under the kitchen sink, or the drain system for a bathroom away from the main vent stack. while certainly not rocket science, both locations require a little planning.

in any case, if you cant draw it, you probably cant build it. drawing it is easier.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

OP here... This has been a project that has been going on for 7 plus years. I do not remember certain things during roughing... The delays were due to major sicknesses :-( All work was performed by licensed people and inspected. Walls and floors are closed now and we have some sort of drainage issue. I guess its either a venting issue or something clogged in old cast iron pipe when it was snapped. Its going to be lots easier with picture of what was done. It is possible that some bird nested in venting for just the kitchen sink vent to the main vent - as there was a new roof installed there too.

Its a 3 family house with kitchs and baths on their own stack. This is top floor unit where a non bearing wall was moved to reroute a vent stack. Issue is with kitchen sink where it runs fine for first few gallons and then stops. Get some bubbles and a very slow flow. Snaked it out to 25 feet 3 different times and no blockages. The 2 floors beneath have no issues. So I wanted to draw it out and run it by a few people to get their wild guesses before we start ripping things open.

I will try to draw it and place it on line. Can one do an attachment in this forum?

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

If it's just this one sink in all likelihood there's a long horizontal run or a sharp elbow somewhere and it has collected detritus from the sink. Is possible that a vent is clogged, but much less likely imo. I'm betting there's a clog past where your snake has reached.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is brand new. All plumbing is new pvc to where the elbow was cut in from the stack.

There has never been any garbage down this drain. Maybe a total of 8 gallons over the past 10 days. I punch it with snake out 25 feet which gets me into the main stack and its clean and clear with no obstruction. If I hit it with air pressure... I think that it would just go around the vent.

What is the slope of that new pipe were say zero. I mean the pipe from where the cast was snapped. Would that account for a couple of gallons fine and then a blockage?

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

Is this new symptom or has it always (since the replumbing, that is) behaved this way? W/ a sink, if it once was fine and now isn't, I'm leaning towards garbage built-up even given the snake...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

O.K. I just drew, scanned, and posted 2 drawings. The first one is here:

This is the original stacking.

The second one is here:

Basically the top floor stack was cut off and the venting was run around under a tub, up a wall and over the bathroom.

If I run around 2 gallons of water it drains great. After that a few glubs of air and the water stops running. The water does go down over next couple of minutes.

From the new kitchen sink its out of pig, into 1.5 inch to the wall. Then there is one elbow and a 5 foot run to the wall drain. I did not show the 5 foot run across the wall to the drain going down (lack of drawing ability).

Either I have a venting problem, or the slope of the pipe from where it was snapped - to the outside wall does not have the quarter inch slope per foot.

I have punched the drain 3 times and there is no obstruction. Snake is 25 footer drain gun. All drains have sweeps so the snake is going into the main stack beyond where it was snapped.

Anyone have any thoughts? NOT looking forward to opening up the floor or wall if I can avoid it. UGH.

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

Oooh, that's a bummer, then...I thought you meant it was 7 years since finished. Not cool to have covered it all up before a test run... ...

Possibly, but unless there's enough to plug the line being released at once, don't really think so. What if you let a trickle run a long time as opposed to a full flow? Does it ever quit draining under that condition?

Where's the vent stack wrt the sink? Did you check for the obstruction there that you were wondering about?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

There has never been any garbage run ito this. Since we tried it a week ago there has been a total of maybe 8 gallons of fresh water run into it.

My thinking is its either the slope of the pipe under the finished floor. Or its something vent related.

I need someone who really knows venting and plumbing to make an educated call on this. I want to go the least destruction way possible.

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

Can't tell from your sketch the venting for sure but looks like a good possibility would be that they didn't get the slope in the 12' run from the sink to the stack.

What's the orientation of the cross-over shown?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

educated

I'm not a plumber, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I can tell you how I'd approach it. I think that the couple of gallons draining before it backs up needs to be investigated - the exact volume will give you a better indication of where the blockage is occuring. I did a rough calc using 2 gallons and came up with ~22' (assuming a 1.5" line). I'm sure the line isn't bone dry due to the blockage, so it could be further along. Maybe that 25' isn't quite enough

RicodJour

Duane Bozarth wrote: ...

Realize this didn't come out very clearly, sorry... :)

Try to clarify what I was thinking about above...

  1. If the horizontal run wasn't supported well, it's possible it's got a sag in the middle perhaps and fills up. I hadn't calculated the length/gal as did another responder so it may be too short a run for that to be the real problem, though...
  2. As noted, the venting arrangement is unclear to me from the sketches...is it possible the crossover is also a horizontal run and it's filling up also and that's cutting off the vent?
Reply to
Duane Bozarth