350 chevy motor

Build that puppy, stick it in something small, fast fun, ride! If going for an s10 v8 style, Use a square box style if you can find one that's not rusted to pieces. The curvy style adds 600lbs right off the bat. :(

They are great little engines, marine being the best in block style, but, you'll hurt it if you just f*ck around at low rpms. :(

Reply to
Diesel

Mopar is nice, but, get ready to drop some cash. :(

Reply to
Diesel

The carb and intake have NOTHING to do with the 4bolt main block. You can easily 4barrel a 2bolt main block. Alot of 350s are infact, not

4bolt mains. Two entirely seperate things.

And don't bother with carb! Use modern direct injection/ignition if you want it to come to life.

Reply to
Diesel

Many trucks in canada, maybe. You can't just assume it's a 4bolt main without popping the crank caps off the bottom or running the serial number on the block. If it is a true 4bolt, it's worth a grand or more, depending on the buyer. If it's a marine block, even more!

Do not assume it's a 4bolt main even if you pulled it from a truck. Check to be sure. 4bolts aren't as common as you seem to think they were. Those were tougher engines, and, you paid for that.

Reply to
Diesel

Yes, because they are direct ignition/direct injection. Tweak the computer a bit more, they really come to life!

Reply to
Diesel

I had a hard time understanding computer fuel injection systems, [which all new cars and trucks use now] and stayed with analog fuel systems for the longest time. Then I started learning about electronic fuel injection systems, and found that digital fuel/air management was a simple to understand way to manage power. The only thing I am not happy with is the initial cost to switch from analog to digital fuel management.

Reply to
Naturous

It wasn't running too great. It only had around 35,000 miles on it. I worked for a man who did a lot of mechanic work and I wanted to learn so I ordered a four bolt main from sears and replaced the motor.

I don't know if the one that came out is a four bolt main. When it was new and running good i raced a corvet on a four lane highway, where he passed me giving me a look like, FU i've got a corvet. I passed him like, I don't care what you've got. He kept passing me, I kept passing him. Everytime I passed him, he looked at me like, what have you got in that? I was driving an 82 Silverado pickup. We were neck and neck until we came to a steep hill, then he left me in the dirt.

Reply to
George Fields

Power to weight ratio issue. Your truck was actually metal w a full frame, his was fiberglass. Your engine was having to carry a pile of additional weight his didn't have. Not your trucks fault. :)

Reply to
Diesel

It does depend upon the workload to some extent though. That old 454 may well have more torque than a small block.

After all, they used to put big block 390s in straight trucks, but I can't think of any small block of similar displacement I'd have wanted to use for a 10-15 ton truck (the Chevy C-60 would be a good example).

If I were deciding on the engine to put in an old full-size '70s American car, I'd probably go with the big block.

On the other hand, the Cobras with a 427 weren't really as good as a Cobra with a 289. In fact, the 427 was too much engine for the car and it didn't handle very well. The rear tires weren't quite up to handling that much torque either, and it was too easy to just burn rubber or break the rear end loose when accelerating.

Reply to
Bud Frede

Did you have fun? ^^ Keep the four bolt. I assume the four bolt is on a support rack or a engine stand? Anyway you see it, it's worth money so check what it sells for. Here is what people are getting for a small block 350 four bolt block...

Naturous

Here's a 350 that comes with a free '74 Buick ! not sure if it's a 4 bolt but the Buick blocks were unique from Chevy, I think

John T.

Reply to
hubops

That depends on the year. The buick, oldsmobile, pontiac and Chevy

350s were all different at one time, but the Checy 350 became the "corporate" 350 This started happening about 1977 - so that '74 was not a Chevy engine, and would not even bolt up to a Chevy bell housing as Pontiac and Buick shared one bolt pattern, while Chevy and Olds shared a totally different one. The buick 350 was the same as the Jeep Dauntless V8 in the early seventies,
Reply to
clare