3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Ground up is industrial code and this year's revision also calls for ground up on residential.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Good info. Thanks.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

My refrig power cord definitely wants the ground DOWN.

And until I start seeing power cords that are designed for ground UP, then all my grounds will be DOWN.

Reply to
Duff

My grounds will always be down for the rest of my life. if a cord doesn't cooperate, then I'll change the plug on the end of it.

Steve Barker DLT

?????????????????????

Reply to
LouB

I have mine with the ground to the right This puts the hot up , standard around here.

Reply to
Mark H

re: And until I start seeing power cords that are designed for ground UP, then all my grounds will be DOWN.

You can see one here. This is an extension cord but I have the same type of plug on my freezer.

DerbyDad03

I can't believe they made the code that way when it looks so stupid.

Reply to
Square Peg

On 8/30/2008 10:14 AM Square Peg spake thus:

Why do you think it looks stupid--because you're used to seeing it the other way around? Sheesh, it's a thing with a bunch of holes in it. There's no "natural" orientation.

Get used to it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

To some people, safety is more important than a ridiculously distorted sense of esthetics.

Reply to
Gary H

However, some (for no apparent reason) have POLARIZED plugs. That has the same effect as having a ground pin, for limiting the ways they can be turned.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I just saw a 3-pack of "outlet savers" in a store. Those are the things that are supposed to let you use all the outlets in a power strip, even when you have several wall-warts. $2 each is a really high price to pay for 6-inch extension cords.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

had some change fall off a tablew and fell just right to a ground down outlet with plug not in all the way a few years ago.

what a spark display, it took a long time for the breaker to trip. i nearly turned them all to ground up after this exciting event.

have seen some devices with accordion like rubber covers to preevent this, bet one day they are code

Already is in the real world! Has been for years in Brit.

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

re: $2 each is a really high price to pay for 6-inch extension cords.

Price out your other options.

Let's say you have 5 or 6 warts and an outlet strip that will only accommodate 3.

Option 1 - Another power strip. Takes up more space, won't be fully utilized and probably costs more than $6.

Option 2 - Longer extension cords. Takes up more space (sloppy) and probably costs more than $6

Option 3 - Spread your warts out to other outlets. Assuming that's possible, what's the convenience of having all the warts in one place worth to you? Probably more than $6.

Option 4 - Make your own 6-inch exttension cords. A viable option, but it'll probably cost close to $6 for all the parts, although you will have the pleasure of making your own and saying "shove it" to corporate America. :-)

All in all, I'm not sure that "$2 each is a really high price to pay for 6-inch extension cords"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

With 240 volt supply the Brit has an even better reason for protections.

Reply to
Rich256

The labor cost is the same to put the ends on a 6" cord as for a 10' cord. How about you make me up a half dozen for a buck apiece?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The "labor" is done by a machine.

Reply to
LouB

re: The "labor" is done by a machine

Are machines free?

Fine, have it your way...

The machine cost is the same to put the ends on a 6" cord as for a 10' cord.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oh I didn't realize the machine went to the storeroom to get the parts, then assembled them and put them into finished goods inventory all with no people involved and no cost for the machine since there is no operator. Thank you for correcting my error.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It is like beer- you are mostly paying for the packaging and shipping, not the beer itself. Per oz, a keg is the cheapest way to buy beer. Unit cost for consumer goods can never drop below a certain point, or there would be no reason for the product to be made, because nobody would make any money on it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers