3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

And there was the one I saw at a local police station. Duplex receptacle installed vertically, but each outlet with the ground at a 30-degree angle to down.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

... the reason for the human face thing :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Intricate surgery - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Prove it. You can't. NEC does not care which way you mount them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have seen them where one was up and one was down.

Reply to
gfretwell

You could always go with one of these

gfretwell

I think what Mark Lloyd saw was that quad installed with 'HUBBELL' level on top..!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

There is someone put there making a duplex with one pin up and the other down too. I just can't find it right now.

Reply to
gfretwell

gfre:

As long as it is the Neutral on top, that is fine. Narrow floor to wall strips can necessitate that.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The NEC is totally silent on orientation of any angle.

There is no right or wrong.

Reply to
dpb

What I saw (and wish I got a picture of) was a vertically-installed DUPLEX receptacle. The wallplate was straight up and down, but the receptacles themselves were at an angle. The same angle with the ground pin at about 30 degrees CCW of down.

Possibly this had something to do with cords having the cord connected at an angle.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The angle I described would have hot a little bit higher than neutral. Ground and neutral would be at the bottom, with (IIRC) ground slightly lower.

Designed for use in places where paper clips normally fall up :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"2 wrongs don't make a right, but 2 rights do make a airplane." :-)

Reply to
hah

_________ Ya can't fix 'stupid'!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Normally the ground is at the bottom but if there are slave outlets running off a GFC, they are then installed upside down.

At least is the convention I've seen

Reply to
philo

Philo:

If the ground hole is on top, you should be able to read anything stamped into the plastic fascia of the receptacle. Hence, right- side up!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Theckhhhmah <thekma @ shortbus . edu> the village idiot puked up

You really are a a retarded dumb f*ck.

Reply to
None

Well those dumb guys at Leviton are printing them upside down. You should call them and tell them

Ed Pawlowski

Just looked. Two sets of writing.

One is correct no matter what the vertical orientation is

Reply to
philo