3.5mm jacks and what they fit?

Am I correct that 3.5 mm. jacks are designed so that they work with TR, TRR, and TRRR plugs.

That is, the jacks intended for stereo sound and a mike will also work fine with just a stereo speaker plug, and also with a monaural plug? (Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

And the jacks intended for stereo sound will work fine with a monaural plug? (Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

Reply to
micky

If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack you short out one channel the ring and the one that feeds the tip will come through. Whether that blows the amp depends on the design

Reply to
gfretwell

Should end in S, TRS, TRRS, TRRRS.

Good to know. I have a PC microphone with a mono plug.

Reply to
micky

On an input like that all that will happen is you will only hear one channel. Grounding an input shouldn't hurt anything. You can buy an adapter that will take two mono plugs and combine them into a stereo plug. You just need to be careful not to get them confused with a stereo splitter. They look the same. I scratch an M/M on mine and an S on the splitters as soon as I open the package.

Reply to
gfretwell