Plugging 2.5mm monaural into 1/8" steeo. ????

I didn't start working on this soon enough to buy the proper airplane adapter for sound, like

or
charge 5500 LBP Lebanon Pounds!! Not enough time to ship from Lebanon.

Office Depot used to have this but doesn't anymore.

But can't I just plug my 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo plug in the monaural jack and get sound in one ear? One ear is good enough for me

2.5 mm = 0.1" 3.5 mm = 7/5 x 0.1" =0.14" inches, Maybe neither is close enough to 1/8" = 0.125".

I have a bunch of other adapters. And other earphones. What size plugs into computers?

I fly rarely and the last time I think the earphones were just plastic tubes.

Reply to
micky

It's been some time since I flew. I recall listening in mono. I think 1/8 fits 3.5mm.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

...I knew this had to be your post by the title! *L* WTF!

Reply to
bob_villa

That is exactly what you will get. One channel.

I have a handful of those adapters but I doubt that will do you any good if you are flying soon. BTW some planes still use the stereo jack and you get an adapter in the ear bud bag that you have to remove, hence the one I have. Ear buds are disposable for the airline. The long haul flights may loan you a head set. On the way to New Zealand last month NZA gave us real nice noise canceling head sets. Delta did the same on the ATL to LAX flight. On the way back, Delta had ear buds. YMMV I guess depending on what plane you are flying and which cabin you are in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes they are the same size as the ports on a PC.

Reply to
gfretwell

........ and propulsion was via propellers. :-)

I have not seen the "stethoscope" earphones since maybe the early 90's.

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I'm pretty sure it was 10 or more years later than that. A lot of airlines out there.

Reply to
micky

Love your username!

Reply to
rebel

I "like" it too! (after I looked it up)

Reply to
bob_villa

The two-jack system was used so the airline could lend (or maybe rent) you headphones without having you steal them. Some airliners these days have standard stereo jacks for passengers with their own phones. Maybe Micky could make a phone call to find out about the plane he'll be on.

Reply to
J Burns

Yes. I'm sure stealing was a problem. I once stole a cute little metal fork from Eastern airlines. I saw the stewardess throwing everything in one trash bag and I thought, Heck, if they're throwing them away, I'd like it instead. Only later did I realize they go through their trash and take out the flatware. I guess.

I checked out the Contact Us page for American Airlines, and it had entries for lots of things, but not this.

I thought of using one of the other topic, like Reservations, but it seemed unlike to work. There is also Compliments / Complaints and also Special needs and assistance. I thought it would look presumptuous to call my question a special need.

I do know what plane it is, according to seatguru.com (a great site) and there is an 800 number. Maybe I should call... but I think the answers here have been enough. I'll either use my nice earbuds (with ear hooks) in moonaural, or I'll pay them, or I'll read a book. I also ordered from monoprice two different kinds of adapter, both less than a dollar, and 2.50 shipping, but I thought I was leaving Friday afternoon, not in the morning, so that leaves one less day for the envelope to arrive.

Of the two adapters at Monoproice, one was a Y cord, and the other one-piece. It got pretty bad reviews, about the case breaking on the first day. I think I'll glue it together as soon as I get it, and hope that helps. One can't expect a lot for

I also went to Microcenter, and they had it but for $8. If I flew more it would be worth it, if the other ones weren't coming. One Geek at Microcenter had no idea what I was talking about, and didn't know that

1/8" is the same as 3.5mm either, but a girl Geek knew a lot about airplanes and what I didnt' buy from them but did buy from Monoprice seems to be right.

I read their FAQs (which were interesting, especially about luggage) and googled American Airlines audio FAQ.

I also googled American Airline audio and other likely terms, and I got something from 5 years ago!

All this made me think calling on the phone would not work well.

Reply to
micky

There appears to be a mix of the duplex mono jacks and the standard stereo plugs and I bet they will not know for sure unless they have the tail number of the plane you are on.

When you get the ear bud pack, it has an adapter in it whether you need one or not.

Reply to
gfretwell

Assuming nothing changes, I have the model of the plane, but not the specific plane. So I think you're right. They may well not know.

That would be great. I love adapters, and for a while thought I would have a complete set, until I realized how many hundreds of adapters there are. Even audio adapters come in more kinds than I can gather.

Reply to
micky

Years ago, I paid about $10 for an MP3 player that uses a AAA battery. It holds enough GB to play for hours, and the fidelity is better than I've heard from CD players. An MP3 player can carry your top-secret encrypted computer files as well as music. Do you think the TSA would waterboard you for the password?

Reply to
J Burns

I always carry one on a plane. Their music sucks.

Reply to
gfretwell

I always carry a bomb when I travel by plane. For safety reasons.

What are the odds there will be two bombs on the same plane?

Reply to
micky

Archie Bunkers said passengers should carry firearms to deter hijackers. If a few holes in the skin causes a problem, the plane wasn't properly designed.

Reply to
J Burns

He makes a good point.

Reply to
micky

It is not a few 9mm holes in the skin that cause the problem. It is when you hit a window.

Reply to
gfretwell