24-inch concrete block retaining wall

I am building an addition on the back of my house. The foundation for this addition is deeper in the ground than the existing house by about

18 inches. I need a retaining wall along bottom of the existing foundation to keep it supported and to hide/seal off the loose soil. I plan to use a concrete block retaining wall which will run 20 feet long and 2 feet high. Do I need to create an eight-inch footing to support this small retaining wall? Or, can I just get the four-inch concrete floor poured in the new foundation area and then build the retaining wall on that?

Thanks Kathy

Reply to
bostonhall

Wouldn't it be a good idea to ask the folks who will have to approve the project, namely your building inspectors? Unless you are living in some remote wilderness, you have to pull permits, submit plans, and generally follow common sense codes that will keep you out of trouble. If you haven't already done so, having the advice and plans from a professional engineer/architect will be money well spent. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Reply to