220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

A length of appropriately sized wire would likely be my suggestion.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Danny knows what an "appropriately sized wire" is?

Reply to
bud--

There are certain fittings to use with aluminum wire. Add those and you should be good to go. We use AL wire regularly due to the lengths we need. Sizes range from #4 to 350 MCM. This is outside where condensation and dirt can be problems. We seldom have problems with the terminations.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Danny knows what an "appropriately sized wire" is?

What I remember is there are a lot of breaker positions in the panel that are not used, and as a result a lot of neutral bar positions not used. I don't remember that a second neutral bar is necessary.

It is easy to add a ground bar - there should be a SquareD ground bar on the label that can be used.

Adding a neutral bar is not nearly as easy. Does SquareD list one on the label? Can you find a UL listed one? How to connect it?

Reply to
bud--

Reply to
ellis.johanna

If you are wishing to get ready of your wife make sure you tell her that she must handle dryer with wet hands.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd c> The wife said the dryer was sparking "in the back".

Reply to
Tony944

The flash you saw could have been an insect or small rodent getting electrified.

Reply to
hrhofmann

It's plain, it's plain , the plain No it is fuxxng martin

The flash you saw could have been an insect or small rodent getting electrified.

Reply to
Tony944

So if there is a burnt wire what does that mean?

Reply to
mirandapereyra.mp

The dryer sparked? I'm guessing the dryer itself did not have sparks all over it. Some specifics would help. Did it spark at the plug? The control? When you plugged it in? When you turned it on?

Any burn makes on the plug? Do you have a volt meter?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, this is not twitter. Give enough details so someone can help you. And don't put esssential facts in the subject line only. That's ridiculous.

Reply to
micky

Probably lost one of the heating coils -- they do fail and occasionally will arc when do...

Reply to
dpb

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 16:26:48 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us to digest...

This is an bad connection or overload.