220 -> 12 volt transformer used on 110 V

I have a few used isolating transformers that converts 220 volt to 12 volt. They are quite heavy, about 25 oz a piece. I guess there is a lot of copper inside.

It's similar to this item:

Can't believe it costs $44.9 a piece. I have thrown away few pieces already.

These are old items used to supply 12 volt to light bulbs. Now that most light bulbs no longer use this low voltage, they have become obsolete.

1) If I use it on 110 volt, do I get 6 volt output?

2) What can one do with these old transformers?

Reply to
Johm Smith

Yes.

See what similar are selling for on Ebay and list them there.

Reply to
trader_4

yes you will get 6 volts out of a 220/12 transformer if connected to

110 - IF it is just a trasformer. If it is a switch mode power supply, no.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Probably a lot more silicon steel than copper, or there may be no copper at all. In the '60s the price of copper was very high and aluminum was often used instead.

Reply to
rbowman

Depends on the type of transformer. Grab a meter and check it.

Power LED light strips with your dryer receptacle. ;-)

If you do get 6V and depending on your need, you might be able to use a 6V to 12V step-up converter:

In addition, in theory, you should be able to wire them up as a voltage doubler.

The thread that that image came from was actually discussing doubling 6kV to get 12kV.

Nope, no thank you. I played with that kind of voltage in the service. Not any more.

Marilyn Manson

In theory , yes...but many transformers are not efficient at lower voltages, so under load, the output may drop below 6 volts.

No harm in giving it a try.

Reply to
philo

Maybe. They could very well be wound with aluminum.

Hmm? This must be a country or regional thing?

If it's actually just an ac transformer and not some type of switching power supply than yes it should. But you might not saturate the core due to the lower than expected voltage. If this is the case even if you do get 6volts under no load It will likely drop a considerable amount when you do put it under load. You may not get the rated available amperage in other words. You can always take a voltage reading before and during a load condition and see what it does.

It really depends on the transformer design and windings. Sorry we can't be more specific.

Reply to
LegionX