200 amp main panel with 100 amp breaker

A new friend asked me.......

He has a FPE stab loc 100 amp main panel, and knows this model can cause fires. worse his panel has many 1/2 breakers, panel is maxed out with around 28 circuits. ABSOLUTELY JAMMED

he wonders about replacing the 100 amp panel with a 200 amp, to get 40 breakers, and swap out for now the main 200 amp breaker for a 100 amp?

he has never had a main breaker trip, his problem is FPE, and number of circuits. h

Reply to
hallerb

this elminates the need for new service drop, meter can etc

Reply to
hallerb

And the question is???

--

Reply to
dpb

Not necessarily. My son wanted to update his 100 amp service box with a larger number of circuits. The city refused the permit unless he totally upgraded to 200 amp service. That was not necessary for me when I simply changed breaker boxes for a larger number of circuits. Check with the city zoning and permit office.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Shame you have to live in a city that requires a permit to replace or modify a breaker box.

Reply to
HeyBub

I see a couple of possibilities. First do a load calculation and see if upgrading to 150/200 is really the way to go. Swapping the panel is the big part of an upgrade. If you do decide 100a is plenty you can get a 40 slot MLO panel and install a backfed 100a breaker (assuming you can't find a combo with enough slots that already has the 100). Usually 100a panels are 20 slot but some are 20/40 using piggyback breakers. That doesn't help much if your problem is AFCIs and GFCIs or 2 poles that need the whole slot. I bet your drop is triplex 2ga and the PoCo rates that at 200a so all you would be replacing is the SE cable from the drop to the panel ... and maybe the meter can. My PoCo (FPL) gave me the meter can for free YMMV. They also cut off the SE and reconnected it top the new SE for free. I only had to buy the 20 feet or so of SE to get to the panel.

Reply to
gfretwell

ANOTHER good reason not to get the city involved. What the OP is proposing is perfectly safe and doesn't need any governmental intervention.

S. Barker

As long as doesn't try to add additional circuit load. That isn't really unsafe, but may introduce a lot of nuisance trips if becomes excessive for the service entrance breaker. Wouldn't expect it, but if were to add additional A/C or other large loads of a semi-continuous nature, just conceivably could strain capacity...

But I agree that to simply swap service panels if substitute a 100A (approved for the panel) breaker and use a 200A-rated panel is fine.

--

Reply to
dpb

So Haller, you're finally getting around to replacing YOUR fire hazard FPE panel are you. Well, you can't swap a 200 amp main breaker for a 100 amp, simply because it won't fit, but you can do what gfretwell recommends, or simply spend a few more bucks and do the complete service

Reply to
RBM

actyually my FPE was replaced near a year ago. my buddy looked to answers from me since I had been thru this, but wanted to DIY the project.

he basically wired his home and did a good job, but doesnt want to bother with permits etc

Reply to
hallerb

He might not need to swap out the 200 amp main breaker. When we moved into our house about 5 years ago I wanted to replace the 100A Federal Pacific panel. I checked with the city (I could do the work, but a permit was required) about the maximum size I could replace it with and was told that the service could handle 200A without changing the wires from the pole to the house. I only had to replace the meter base (the city provided the new meter and base with the $30 permit fee), and the service entrance wires that came down the side of the house (about 15 feet). This was on a house built around 1969, with overhead wiring coming to the house.

I ended up replacing the panel with a 200A Square D "Q0" series with 40 spaces. It was physically much larger, but fortunately I was able mount it slightly higher on the wall and all the internal circuits were able to reach to the top breakers in the panel, so I didn't have to extend anything.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

One consideration about not getting a permit (if they're required in your area) is that if there is a fire or similar problem later and the insurance finds out you had replaced the panel without getting an inspection, might they deny coverage? Even if the problem had nothing to do with the panel change, I'm wondering if they would use it as a justification to avoid payment.

I'm not any kind of expert, and of course it's up to the homeowner, but that was a concern I had when I did a panel upgrade several years ago. My service could handle 200A, though, so the only extra cost was the $30 permit/inspection fee.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Without bringing up the "insurance" boogie man I can still give you the real reason for a permit. Unless your PoCo has a great sense of humor they won't hook up your new SE cable without one, or even reseal the meter if you pull it. I hope you are not planning to work the SE conductors hot.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have pulled a few meters in the past, the power company doesnt care as long as they are informed immediately. the fellow thinking of this is a volunteer fireman, trained to pull meters. he wants to avoid fighting a fire at his home:(

did it to remove broken off fuse.....

Reply to
hallerb

In our city (Houston), you tell the power company you want to temporarily remove the meter. Their standard is six hours from the call to have a worker remove the seal (and probably record the reading). You pull the meter at your convenience. When you get everything back in order, call the power company again. This time, they'll re-seal the meter (and probably take another reading) within 24 hours.

This is the sequence I've been through twice in the past couple of years.

Sorry about your town.

Reply to
HeyBub

actyually my FPE was replaced near a year ago. my buddy looked to answers from me since I had been thru this, but wanted to DIY the project.

he basically wired his home and did a good job, but doesnt want to bother with permits etc

Could you please explain the logic behind wiring a home and changing the service, but not wanting to get the work inspected. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. As a contractor I welcome inspections because they reaffirm that my work was done properly and should an issue of liability arise in the future I have evidence that an independent party found my work to be safe and compliant.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Some people would say that can happen, but in reality, it's bs.

#1. The insurance co has no basis for knowing 'when' this change was made. #2. You say: "like that when i got here" #3. done

S. Barker

That still leaves you with the question of how you replace the SE from the meter can to the service point.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you have no shutoff at the meter or pole and you need to pull the meter to shut off the electricity the utility company will require a permit. I took advantage of a major power outage to change one box out.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Maybe. The insurance companies will look for any reason to not pay out and this is a biggie.

Reply to
Mike Dobony