Subject Author Posted Replies

Suggestions for good quality caulk
Hello, Will be replacing 7 vinyl windows in about two weeks. Was thinking about using silicon but think it could be a big mess. Don't want to be wiping excess away with mineral spirits. I've...
5
5

Small freezer
The last time I had a 3 day power outage I lost all my frozen food. I'm thinking of getting a small freezer and "stocking" it with jugs of water. When we have an outage I will put all my frozen...
6
6

Is the underfloor radiant heat viable in my case?
Hi, I'm considering converting two of my hot water radiators to an underfloor heating system. A friend of mine, who is marginally more knowledgeable than me when it comes to radiant heating,...
8
8

slow basement drain
------------------------------------- I recently purchased a new washer when it drains I get water backed up on the floor,it drains,but it drains very slowly. What can I do to solve this problem?Any...
2
2

Is microwave safe without the outside cover screwed on.
I just got out of the hospital with a broken arm and abdominal surgery. (you don't want to know the gory details) It's very hard to do anything. I live alone. I have a small microwave whhich...
27
27

Using Extension Cord with Freezer
Hello, I just purchased a 7 CFT Magic Chef Freezer from the Home Depot. The place that I want to place it is about 6 feet from the nearest electrical outlet. Reading the manual it states not to use...
58
58

Sears garage door closer - won't close
Sears garage door operator won't close the door. Here are some details: - double wide metal door, no insulation so it is fairly light - both torsion springs just professionally replaced (one had...
8
8

Heating system check
Just a reminder, now that cool weather is starting, be sure the heater fires up and avoid the crowds if you need serious service. Last night it got down into the low 40's and the house was 65 this...
5
5

leaking sloan toilet flush valve
Hi, our office has a Sloan toilet flash valve like the one shown at The valve sits on a standard toilet. Recently it started to leak at the top of the vacuum breaker flush connector where it meets the...
1
1

4 mil vapor Barrier versus 6 mil ??
Converting 300 sq ft garage into family room. Installing full floor above garage concrete slab. I want to put a polyethylene vapor barrier on the concrete. Most places I read recommend 6 mil...
3
3

Anyone familiar with code for Glenville, NY (Schenectady County)?
Is it allowed to install a gas furnace in a closet such that there is no return installed? The door is louvered, so the furnace sucks the air from inside the closet that comes through the vents in the...
6
6

Sinkhole Near Deep Well Pump
A sinkhole, now about 2 feet deep and approx. 4 feet wide by 5 feet long, has formed within 5 feet from my deep well equipped with a submersible pump over 100 feet down. My water supply has not been...
4
4

Weird GFCI wiring
I have power coming into a GFCI outlet in my bathroom. Power then goes to the bathroom switch which controls the bathroom light and a switch in the hallway which controls the hallway lights....
4
4

repairing the stucco foam board
murphy ------------------------------------- The front of my house is stucco. The decorative 2x4 foam board around the collumns on the front entrance have gotten damp and separated. Is there a way to...

Amana icemaker
This is a bottom freezer fridge that is 10 years old. The icemaker is not making ice although there is fresh ice in the tray. There is a creaking sound from the icemaker as if it is trying to run. It...
5
5