Subject Author Posted Replies

Catching particulates in gas pipes
Hi, My plumber explained to me why I need to have a vertical nipple with a cap to catch particulates. I would like to know how many of these traps I should set up? Just one? A couple? Next to each...
12
12

Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?
I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports. I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end. I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then...
13
13

"Low Profile" water heater?
Most electric tank water heater are tall, I have a shelf in my garage I want to keep, the bottom of the shelf is 30" off the floor, and the floor slab is 4" higher than the rest of the garage floor...
9
9

Whistling water follow-up
Thanks guys, I took your advice and removed the aerator, flushed it and reyurnrd it. The whistling I complained about stopped. Nothing appeared to be in the aerator, so I'm thinking maybe it just...

Electrical power in non-120-volt places
The question from the person in Peru about wiring for 230 volts raises a question: in places that use 230/240 volts for household current (i.e., most of the world), how is that power brought into the...
13
13

3rd world wiring question
I am volunteering in the construction of a school for poor kids in peru. I have been asked to "fix" the wiring and I have had a bit of success. I am not an electrician but I have rewired an old home...
29
29

General Furnace Question
I have a Trane furnace. One of the heat registers in my livingroom is underneath my sofa. There are two registers in that room. Is it safe to completely close off the register, or would it be better...
34
34

Leaking driveway
For the life of me, I can't figure out how water is getting through my concrete drive. My drive is heaving up, since the winter freeze. It appears frozen water is getting under my drive. How in...
3
3

Leak Under Front Porch
I have a poured concrete slab front porch, about 6 x 10. The brick veneer buts up against it and when it rains, I get some seepage into the cold room below in the basement. I have tried caulking where...
1
1

How fill rough edges around light switch?
A couple of light switches in my house have visible rough edges in the wall around one or more sides of the switch cover. What's a good way of covering those up? Someone I know suggested caulk,...
21
21

Space heater suggestions?
I'm looking for a small electric space heater to heat a room that's about 12x15. I bought a Holmes HCH4062V at Wal-Mart for $26, but it's quite loud, and for all the noise, there's...
5
5

Appliance Hose Connections
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber with a torch may be able to remove the...
16
16

Heat Pump condenser fan stop/start...
When my heat pump comes on the outside condenser fan will initially run for 30 seconds then it will shut off. Once the blades stop spinning it will start up again. Then it will shut off after 20...
5
5

High water power cut off?
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful. We have a water softener and dehumidifier that...
21
21

Stove rope adhesive ?
I've just replaced the special rope that goes into the doors of my wood burning stove, just seemed to press in. Trouble is sometimes when I open the doors it falls out. Should it be stuck in and...
1
1