Subject Author Posted Replies

Steel casement window parts suppliers???
OK, I either broke the sucker when I ran into the open window (w/ my head, no less :)) while it was open last time I mowed (it's a moderately long story so I'll leave it at that :) ) or it...

Snake wire from wall to ceiling
I need to run a wire from a switch on the wall up the wall and across the ceiling to a new overhead light. (Note that unfortunately, the joists run perpendicular to the direction that I need to...
73
73

foundation access door
The foundation (crawlspace) access door to my house is rusty and falling apart. My house is a 1967 brick-sided ranch house. The door opening is 32"x16" and unfortunately no local hardware stores carry...
3
3

Acid injector for pool - help needed
I have a new plaster pool and they use lots of acid for the first year or so. I've plumbed a line from the inlet side of my pump to a tank with 3 parts water, 1 part acid. I'm using irrigation...
4
4

alternative garage interior wall covering
I'm building a garage with some living space above it. I'd like to insulate and cover the walls in the garage area as well. But I'd rather use something besides wallboard since it is so...
14
14

dryer longevity
I replaced the heating element in my old whirlpool about 10 years ago. Still running like a champ. Jon
9
9

Should I reduce the furnace fan speed?
Got a new Coleman 95.5 gas furnace. The fan is quite a bit noisier than my old unit. Measures 73 dB in the hallway under the return vent. That's "C" weighted. I pulled off the vent covers and...
10
10

Enlarge a hole in studs
I have a series of 2x6 studs that I have drilled two inches holes to pass PVC pipes across. However I did not realize a 2" hole saw does not make a hole large enough for a 2" pipe because the 2" is...
33
33

Torque to 80 lb-in how?
I am using no hub couplings to connect drain pipes and the couplings are made of stainless steel clamps with a 3/8" hex head with specifications called for tightening to 80 pound-in. I have a torque...
8
8

How to finished recessed bookshelves
Hi, I'm recessing these shelves inside a wall in the attic (there's space under the roof): not sure how to finish them on the outside. Should I have matching trim that will cover about 1/2" of...
1
1

bubble on stucco wall after raining
My house has stucco wall. Few month ago I had it painted with elastomeric paint. Today we had our first major storm of the season, with winds blowing the rain side ways hitting the southern wall. I am...
32
32

wireless doorbells
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with wireless doorbells. The last couple of days mine has been ringing a couple of times on its own (no, it isn't a pre-Halloween prank). I have some...
36
36

loose red spanish roof tiles
1930s house in Los Angeles with original super-heavy spanish tiles and gobs of cement holding them in place - except where a couple have come loose. What's a good solution for fixing a couple of...
7
7

OT: Health care in the US
Young people might find it hard to believe that folks didn't much worry about health care in the old days (i.e. 1940's, 50's). It wasn't cheap, but working adults managed it pretty...
3
3

Paint anodized aluminum?
My sliding patio door screens are unsightly and would probably benefit from a coat of paint. The frames are made of almost-black-bronze anodized aluminum. They are not damaged except for some...
8
8