Subject Author Posted Replies

Brass Door Handle
I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave. It always gets tarnished. Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door...
25
25

Florida room is too hot
I bought this house 2+ yr ago. A former owner built a "Florida room" across the back of the house - two walls are solid, and two (including a 40' long one) are glass. Old glass. Single pane glass. I...
19
19

Grill Corrosion? or what
I bought a Charbroil grill about two years ago one of there inferred models Series 580. My question I cant find the answer two on all the grill plates & cooking surface I seem to get a green residue...
3
3

White or Oak Wood blinds
------------------------------------- I am having replacement windows installed. All the windows in the house have oak casing except one room that has been recently renovated. I have used vinyl in the...
1
1

Sticky Window
An aluminum double window is hard to open. What can i use to make it move easy ?
10
10

HVAC filters too tight
The air return for my HVAC is 14x24. I use 14x24 3M Filtrate filters. However, the fit is extremely tight, and I have to crush the cardboard filter somewhat to force fit it into the opening. It seems...
18
18

Rudd, Carrier, Day&Night A/C Heat Pump units
Opinions on whether there is any significant difference between these brands? I'm thinking of replacing a 40 year old A/C unit on a Rental House with a new Heat Pump while I can still get the tax...

No Interest from Contractors, Small Project
Hi, I need to replace one side of a wooden deck, which was damaged in a storm. I've called 3 different contractors / carpenters, found in phone book. Every time, I get an answering machine, leave my...
10
10

About how thick will a scratch coat of thinset over bricks end up being
I'm going to tile over 3 sided brick fireplace all the way to the ceiling. To do this I have to build a frame and mount backer board from about four feet up. I plan on mounting some expanded metal...
2
2

Functional difference?
Between Radiant Barrier foil at about $0.13/sq ft and Ordinary turkey-wrapping aluminum foil at $0.03/sq ft To cover 2000 sq ft of a roof's underbelly with commercial radiant barrier would cost, um,...
4
4

Drill Storage Box
Before my wife drove over it in the garage, I had one of those boxes I picked up at Costco that held your drill and had a large assortment of drill and screwdriver bits and various accessories. It was...
15
15

Finding a transformer
About 6 years ago, we had our kitchen remodelled. We wanted some undercounter lights included. The contractor proposed a low voltage set of lights. I said that I preferred 120 v since I hate humming...
24
24

Backhoe rates
What does a backhoe and operator run an hour where you live? Steve
13
13

Arc Fault protection how does it work?????
In another posting someone wrote .................. *Are you sure that was a GFCI on the end and not an AFCI?" AFIK I haven't seen one yet ................ but after all this house and my neighbours...
14
14

Weird line cord
I installed my window air conditioner and the GFCI on the end of the cord would not reset. I figured I would replace the plug and get an inline GFCI to replace what was there. I cut the plug off the...
18
18