Subject Author Posted Replies

Sorta OT: How to beat the parking police
I say "sorta" because the accessories used can be fabricated in a small shop. Video
5
5

Harmonic resonance shower
I was cleaning one of my vacation rentals. I turned on the MOEN shower water control. In the middle range, where the warm water would be, there came a pulsing sound that sounded very regular and...
3
3

Improvising a lawnmower gas cap
I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it. I assume...
22
22

multiple HVAC vs. zoning
We've been looking at homes here in the Las Vegas area and I've noticed something that seems different from other areas where we've lived. In many of the newer homes we've visited, there are 2, 3 and...
10
10

Holmes on Holmes
This show is pretty good. I'm glad he isn't spending my money. He sure does find some shoddy work.
2
2

Garage hose bib causes water in basement
My wife and I are buying a new home and closing tomorrow. When the hose bib that is installed in the garage is turned on (with no hose attached) it sprays water onto the wall where the hose bib is,...
10
10

Sizing a mini-split a/c
A friend is looking into putting in a mini-split air conditioner. The room does not have an outside wall. She has calculated that she needs 6000 to 7000 BTU--max. But all single zone units I find are...
16
16

left hinge door, right hinge storm
We've got a left-hinge door, and my husband wants to install the storm door right-hinge. Here's a picture of our setup: shows the old door and storm both of which were installed left- hinge.) It seems...
39
39

DVD Connections
This may be the wrong group But...I want to replace my vcr with a DVD recorder but am not sure about the connections. My cable service comes in on a Coax cable (75 ohm?) which is connected directly to...
27
27

Wheels for steel shelving
There is a standard for steel shelving size and construction, with heavy steel angle uprights with 1/4" holes at about 1" intevals. 'Standard' at least in that I've seen a ton of it in warehouses,...
7
7

The Grass Is Greener When You Don't Mow.
A painless method to reduce the human impact on the environment is to stop mowing grass. In general, the only reason for mowing is appearance, and often, considering the location of the grass, the...
34
34

Cutting Sidewalk Expansion Joints
So I tried to single-handedly replace a slab of sidewalk last week. Near killed my po' self, mixing and pouring, etc. Was so worried about thunderstorms etc, I forgot to cut/set the expansion joints....
20
20

Small bugs in kitchen, what are they, how to remove? <pic>
These things look like ants, but they're not. They have a fat lower section unlike an ant I've seen. They are very tiny, and can be found only around the kitchen sink area. Any ideas what they are and...
23
23

OT: Where's the beef? In a freezer, probably
I started a thread last Sunday moaning about the fact that the local supermarkets no longer got sides of beef and that I couldn't get flat bone sirloin steaks. Lots of interesting comments, thanks. On...
20
20

Permitting: rat on neighbor?
The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like it just has sides but no roof. Definitely some earth moving...
40
40