Subject Author Posted Replies

A $5 part *****kills***** a $4000 Generac generator
I personally installed a Generac natural gas stand-by generator 5 years ago, after a freak October ice storm knocked out electricity in this area for nearly 2 weeks. The Generac has worked flawlessly...
50
50

Hillbilly HRV
Hillbilly HRV I had my house insulation upgraded and some leaks sealed. I'd like to do more sealing, but will need some external ventilation. I read that, for a well-insulated house, 40% of the heat...
2
2

Installing 1/4" plywood
I am patching an area of kitchen floor where a cabinet was removed. The vinyl floor has 1/4" plywood underlayment. To add 1/4" plywood to the area what size & type screw should i use ?
3
3

OT: Homeowners Ins.
Little brick bungalow in midwest US, quiet neighborhood, 100% garden-variety HO policy. I've had 2 vehicles and the house insured with State Farm for 10+ years. Never had an at-fault claim against...
51
51

Sealing around pipes (through vents)
The outside of my home has numerous air vents to the crawl space. These are covered with a wire mesh/grill to keep out vermin etc. So far, so good. However, a couple of these vents have some pipes...
6
6

Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five 5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road vehicles. I don't see that it's all that much of a...
142
142

Mitsubishi Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioner
I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2 ton Mitsubishi ductless air conditioner (MR-series, called "Mr. Slim") and am wondering if anyone has any opinions of this equipment based on actual...
14
14

Cracked skylight
My kitchen skylight is cracked and leaking. The transparent part appears to be an inverted clear plastic box mounted over a wood box. No idea who installed it, as it was on the house when I bought it...
6
6

Odd electric motor behavior -- pool pump
Sometimes, when I start my pool pump motor, it turns for a few revolutions, then pops the circuit breaker. Other times, it starts and runs normally. This is not a case of clogged skimmers. Before the...
12
12

Kenmore model 41788052700 dryer problems
I have a Kenmore model 41788052700 electric dryer. I purchased it in 4/08. Everything was running fine till 2 months ago. Then it would occasionally stop during a cycle and beep with all the control...
3
3

Wal-Mart fights back
"The feds are complaining about getting dragged into court, having to file time-consuming paperwork, and generally being treated like any taxpayer who get crosswise with the IRS. " "The federal agency...
120
120

How amny cars have you owned and TCO?
In my 40 yrs of car ownership I have owned and driven: (x) yrs owned; [xxx,yyy] xxx = purchase price, yyy = selling price 1. 65 Plymouth Fury III (1) Junk [$700,0] 2. 73 Merc Capri (2) a little better...
26
26

sealing concrete patio
We have a concrete patio under a huge oak tree... When it rains, the water doesn't dry quickly, and a thin green film appears every year... We power wash it back to concrete white, and start all over....
4
4

Trane XB10
I have an XB10 Trane AC unit that was installed when my house was built in 2003. After running it for a while, the compressor either seems to shut down and I notice no cold air as though its just the...

Air Conditioning Question
Hi, Had a new A/C installed. Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser outside. Couldn't get a really good answer from installer. a. Live in New England; lots of snow in...
11
11