Subject Author Posted Replies

Faucet puller
I need a handle puller for my 20 year old faucet. I have checked all my catalogs and Googled quite a bit. I need something that will fit below the "globe" and pull it straight up. 3 or 4 "fingers"...
4
4

Window in a shower?
I would love to hear your opinions on the subject of a window in a shower, over a tub actually. When this home was built showers in tubs were not the style so it had a 32x48 window centered on the tub...
16
16

Force of Snow on Roof
I took a physics course once in which force vectors were discussed. We all intuit that the greater the slope of a roof the less chance it will collapse from snow weight. But isn't this more than the...
16
16

Is all harvest gold the same?
Is all harvest gold the same? A guy who does home remodeling tells me he has a harvest gold electric stove in good condition from 1970. Mine in a Whirlpool and matches the color of my Whirlpool...
17
17

Best glue for sink faucet cap
We have a bunch of sink faucets with what I think are porcelain caps. The caps cover a hole. A couple of them have popped off. Here's a photo. 'd like to glue the cap back on, but don't know what glue...
12
12

So the 13 year old water heater decided to die...
I had no idea there was a drain up tight in behind it. To bad it was set into the concrete 5cm above the floor height. Fortunately it was a relatively slow leak only causing a small pool of water and...
7
7

Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly
My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow" horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly after it warms up. With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly....
58
58

Electric blanket
I was shopping for an electric blanket. More and more ads call them "warming blankets" I can only guess this is because of the fine print that says........this blanket is used for warming the bed. Do...
8
8

Detecting gas leaks
We recently had an incident where someone in our home was cleaning the stove and accidentally turned on a burner (gas only, no flame). Luckily someone was around and awake to smell the gas, turn it...
3
3

Sintered Bronze bearings for radial/perpendicular loads?
Generally speaking, how do Sintered Bronze bearings compare to ball bearings for radial/perpendicular loads? Thanks.
9
9

Installing door strike plate
Is there a foolproof way to do this, other than meticulous measuring? I never seem to get it perfect first time, and then once the screw holes are made it's difficult to reposition. I'm sure someone...
11
11

OT: We all need a good laff
Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 9:19 AM Darwin Awards Yes, it's that magical time of year again when the Darwin Awards are bestowed, honoring the least evolved among us. These may or may not all be...
7
7

CFL & Dimmer Combo
It seems to me that dimmable CFLs must do a two step with a standard light dimmer. I have one overhead lamp I don't mind throwing a specific bulb/dimmer combo on it, and spending some money on. What...
5
5

OT: Your tax dollars at work
Here's the first few paragraphs of a new report from AU (Americans United for Separation of Church and State). The whole report can be read at...
4
4

tying in a/c condensate drain into 1 1/2" PVC pipe from sump pump
To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?...
9
9