10 Foot Dryer Cord

I have to place a dryer 10 feet from it's plug in, breaker dedicated outlet. I would like to use this cord:

ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some say this is safe, others say it's not. I'd like your opinion.

I currently have a gas dryer, but need additonal capacity.

Thansk.

Reply to
Boris

That should be just fine.

Reply to
philo

Why are some saying it's not safe? As long as the dryer is rated at 30A or less, I see nothing wrong with it. Using a 10 ft cord is a bit unusual, but as long as you locate it and use it responsibly, I don't see a problem.

Reply to
trader_4

What reason did they give for it not being safe ?

It is a 3 wire cord which meets the old standard. Newer rules say that the cords must be 4 wires to be safer, but the old 3 wire standard is ok of not upgrading the house wiring. Is that the reason ?

As long as the cord is rated for dryer service and the current rating is not exceeded, I do not see any problem. Seems that it has over a 4 star rating, so should be fine for your case.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

trader_4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I agree with you. Those that say no are some amazon reviewers that insist going with newer code.

Reply to
Boris

Ralph Mowery wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net:

Because it's not the standard 6' install, and it may overheat. I say they don't know what they are talking about. If the cord is same gauge as home 30 amp circuit, fine.

Some cite newer code, some say it will overheat.

Reply to
Boris

Overheating is not an issue at all. The heat distribution from voltage drop will be exactly as it would be with a 3 foot cord and in a 10ga wire that is negligible anyway. Dryers only pull about 21-22a.

The only code would apply to the part in the wall. If a 3 wire receptacle was installed per the 1996 or earlier code it is perfectly legal to use. If you are in Chicago, there may be a 6' limit to any cord tho. That is just Chicago tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

The 3-wire cord (L1, L2 and Neutral) has no ground conductor so it connects the metal dryer cabinet to your power company's neutral wire. All is well as long as your power company neutral connection doesn't fail. If/when the power company neutral fails, the neutral's voltage can rise to near line voltage which means the voltage on the metal cabinet of your dryer will rise as well. Obviously an unsafe condition.

The 4-wire cord (L1, L2, Neutral and Ground) adds a ground conductor so that the metal dryer cabinet is bonded to your homes ground rod system. The neutral wire in the 4-wire cable is NOT connected to your dryer's cabinet. With a 4-wire cord, if the power company Neutral connection fails and the voltage rises on the Neutral, your dryer cabinet will remain at zero volts.

So, I guess your 3-wire cable is safe until you lose the power company Neutral connection...then things become not-so-safe.

Reply to
Hooda Guest

Since the neutral and ground are bonded at the service entrance, that is a distinction without a difference. In fact, when the 3 wire plug was legal the neutral was required to originate on the same bus as the main bonding jumper.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's a 3-wire receptacle, and the home was built circa 1978.

Where I am, I believe that rule does apply now, but only to homes built after 1996, or if it is a major remodel including service entrance wiring.

Reply to
Boris

Hooda Guest wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I understand, and if I remember correctly, that was one person's comment on amazon.

Reply to
Boris

Yah, distinction without a difference is a nice loophole around code. You can upgrade ungrounded receptacles by just jumpering the neutral to ground on the receptacle. Easy-peasy & cheap.

Reply to
Scott

If the utility neutral opens, you are depending on the integrity of the grounding system either way. The exception for ranges and dryers came during WWII when copper was in short supply and they decided the danger of sharing the neutral on these particular circuits was minimal.The reality is there was never a significant body count for over a half a century but Phil Simmonds on the CMP that handles article 250 said the war was over in the 96 ROP and the NFPA panel agreed. The official reason was just to be consistent with the rule you imply.

Reply to
gfretwell

What would make it unsafe? It is designed for the job.

Reply to
clare

But the drier already has a 3 wire plug in all likelihood.

Reply to
clare

It works - it is functional, but not legal.

Reply to
clare

nects the metal dryer cabinet to your power company's neutral wire. All is well as long as your power company neutral connection doesn't fail. If/when the power company neutral fails,

ltage on the metal cabinet of your dryer will rise as well. Obviously an un safe condition.

o that the metal dryer cabinet is bonded to your homes ground rod system. The neutral wire in the 4-wire cable is NOT connected to your dryer's cabin et. With a 4-wire cord, if the power

your dryer cabinet will remain at zero volts.

Neutral connection...then things become not-so-safe.

u can upgrade ungrounded receptacles by just jumpering the neutral to groun d on the receptacle. Easy-peasy & cheap.

You can do it, but it's a code violation.

Reply to
trader_4

That applies to any 3 wire dryer CIRCUIT. It has nothing to do with whether you use a 10 ft cord or a 3 ft cord. And if it's such a safety hazard, it's rather odd that dryers being sold today include instructions to use them with either a 3 wire or 4 wire circuit. Basically you have a bunch of dummies posting whatever on Amazon.

Reply to
trader_4

Dummies...Amazon...yes indeed.

Reply to
Boris

Code aside, if it's safe to connect the neutral to ground on an electric stove then it should be just as safe to connect the neutral to ground on a standard wall receptacle.

Reply to
Bo