Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Raising level of lawn
I have three small lawns, each of which is below the level of th adjacent paths. They are inherited from the previous owner of th house and have not sunk in recent years. I want to raise the levels. I...
6
6

Autumn Lawn maintenance - which order?
Hi This Autumn, I want to give my lawn a thorough going over, as I have lot of grass that appears to be growing sideways (along the ground) and turning white. I suspect my old lawnmower was to blame....

Fescue and allergies
Is it generally true that Fescue is the source of many allergies people have in Summer? I asked here recently about replanting and overseeding my sun drenched lawn and the response I got back was...
3
3

rotating compost bin from wooden spool?
i recently acquired one of those large wooden spools that the electric company uses to store miles of wire. i'd like to build a rotating compost bin with the spool. has anyone seen any plans on how to...

Renting an excavator
Anybody had any experience renting a mini or compact excavator ? What to look out for contract wise ? Thinking about renting for a week.
4
4

Complete beginner + tired lawn
Weve just bought a house in northern France (Picardy) which has a larg garden which has been rather neglected for about a year. We're complet beginners to gardening so we thought we'd start by...
13
13

Looking for parts.
I am looking for a cylinder Mahle 42ZD9 and piston and ring for m brushcutter Partner B380.I can make an offer. Jean -- jeanbasile
2
2

Crabgrass/Dimension question
I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past. This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg). It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants that I deal with spot...
9
9

old mower info
Does anybody know who makes Lawn Pro riding mowers, I'm looking for the Yard Pro Estate model info & I can't seem to find any info. Thanks, Michael

Hold the DR field & brush
I've gone back to my old method - a good round-point shovel and a sharp axe plus my lopping shears. I had that one 8" stump in a bad place - right on a sharp turn. After I got that out by cutting a...
4
4

Help me figure out what this plant is!
We bought this plant at IKEA (of all places!) a little less than 5 years ago. We thought it would be a small houseplant that we would kill in just a matter of time. Needless to say, it has grown huge...
6
6

Soil test help
Here are the results of my lawn soil test. Can you recommend soil amendments or treatments? Have rye, fescue and bluegrass in central CT. TIA. PH 6.0 (plan to add lime) Nitrogen - Very Low Phosphorous...
28
28

2nd post of the day - grass/weed ID
My front lawn was invaded by this little bugger. Tough leaves, really long root system, turns dead brown in the sun, manages to overrun my planters. I assumed that this is bermuda grass, but not sure....

Ants or bees or what?
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking for the insects.
14
14

New riding mower purchase
At a local Lowes, I purchased the Troy Bilt Pony model on Thursday, August 2nd at 11:30 a.m. Also, on the same sales receipt, I purchased the 4 year extended warranty coverage, and delivery. Delivery...
9
9