Zoysia Varieties

I cannot find a comprehensive evaluation of Zoysia varieties other than the National Turfgrass Evaluation tests which are a very "dry" read. Can anyone point me to a website that does a good job with a side by side comparison of the characteristics of all (OK, I'll settle for most) of the common varieties:

Meyer Emerald Zeon Zenith El Toro There are several others as well.

Thanks in advance.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

All I want to know is how you kill this crappy, green 3 months out of the year, brown 9 months, grass.

Reply to
GFRfan

Roundup works well. What part of the country are you in? Here (Atlanta), Zoysia is green from April through most of November.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Try seedland.com, I think they have some comparison info. Like GFR, I'm not a big fan of Zoysia either. It's a very aggressive, invasive grass, which can be good except when it wants to spread into areas like driveways,etc. And being green from April thru Nov in Atlanta pretty much sums it up.

I'm in coastal NJ and my tall fescue/blue grass is dark green from April thru Jan. It usually only goes somewhat off color in late Jan

-Feb, and even then it still looks pretty good with some decent color left. By comparison, a neighbor has Zoysia, and in mid Oct, when it goes brown, it has a real dried out light brown appearance till mid May. If it looks like that in Atl when it goes off color, even if its only for a few months, I'd look for an alternative.

Reply to
trader4

Iowa. Neighbor plugged some years ago and now it's all over the neighborhood. Good looking grass when it's active but not good for this zone. I had considered just cutting it as sod and reseeding with rye-bluegrass mix but not sure how to get rid of the sod afterwards. I guess I'll just wait till the middle of May and roundup the crap then try to get some cool weather grass to start. Probably look pretty bad till fall when I can do an effective seeding.

Reply to
GFRfan