What is this weed? Need help please

Hello, I am tring to find out what kind of weed this is and how to control it.

SlipKid

This looks like speedwell. Corn speedwell is an upright, clumping winter annual that produces small purple flowers in the spring. Corn speedwell does not typically persist very long after flowering. Attempts to control corn speedwell in the spring are usally unsuccessful because the plant is at the end of its lifecycle. This type of weed is best controlled with a post emergent herbicide during its peak in may or november.

Reply to
ricks555

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
SlipKid

I don't know exactly what it is, but I have some of it and Weed B Gone whacked it. I would think any broadleaf weedkiller would work. I'd go with liquid and a small tank sprayer to deliver it right on target for max effectiveness and minimum usage.

Reply to
trader4

It looks like veronica. Selective broadleaf weed control like weed be gone should help control it.

Reply to
Steveo

Ciscoe Morris our local TV gardening guru suggests spraying any weed or unwanted grasses between concrete cracks with straight vinegar on a hot sunny day. I have tried it and it really works and is fairly non-toxic....you don't want to get the vinegar on ornamental or other desired plantings though/ You can read Ciscoe Morris's website by typing his name into search.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

That stuff has taken over my newly seeded areas. I'm not gonna spray until the 3-4th mowing of the grass sprouts, but will the veronica go to seed before that? Will a pre-emergent be needed to prevent an infestation next spring? How best to deal with it now in new blue grass?

Thanks for identifying that weed, I couldn't figure out what the hell it was either. (and for any reply)

Reply to
Dan

It's more of a winter annual like chickweed, in other words it is usually growing as soon as the snow melts. It doesn't like summer weather so you should be able to get it under control this year with your post-emergent control, after your seedling have established.

Reply to
Steveo