weed/grass killer info wanted

I've been doing a bit of online research on herbicides, and am confused by the abundance of the different compounds available.

What we'd like to do is get some kind of affordable, bulk weed/grass killer (like Roundup?) to use as border controls around parking lots, fencelines, etc. We've got about 7 acres of fenced lawn and parking areas to maintain.

Would appreciate info on any sources of such product that would do for our purpose.

Reply to
RB

?m=ThisP&p=57379.000000&l=1
on their webpage as follows to get to the two products I'm recommending.

product listing lawn and garden lawn and garden supplies grass killer

use 3 ounces of Gly Star Original to a gallon of water and you got a real kill.

Gly Star PRO already has SURFACTANT in it. Gly Star Original is without SURFACTANT. a good money saving trick is to add 3 or 4 drops of Joy dish washing liquid for each gallon mixed. works really good.

Reply to
Jim Ledford

Adding a dye works well, also. You'll definately want to know where your spray has hit. (This goes for *any* non-selective herbicide.)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

food coloring is cheap and harmless to the environment.

I'm a soybean farmer and that's where I use the vast majority of my Gly Star non-selective herbicide. the beans I grow are genetically altered to tolerate the active ingredient glyphosate. [TM] RoundUp Ready® soybeans they are called.

when spraying a field it is VERY important to obtain complete and even coverage, very important! you can lose large by incorrect spacing and leaving a strip untreated for weeds to flourish and spread from.

as I was thinking my way though the initial design of my field sprayer I realized the booms extended 8 rows out from each side of the tractor. I then realized I could stop at the end of the rows, count over 16 rows and have a small over lap giving me complete coverage. so I omitted the expensive row marker which uses a foam dye calibrated to drop once about every 20 yards.

after several years of producing really clean beans I got noticed and several farmer friends asked me how the heck I did it without row markers. the looks on their faces as they realized how they too could have omitted the several hundred dollar investment of the row marker attachment by counting rows has been priceless.

the GPS systems used out west on the 1000 acre fields are pretty dog gone impressive for providing even coverage.

in my lawn care business I use very little non-selective herbicide and when I do, I just slow down and pay careful attention, because the mix of 3oz to a gallon is a kill all strength derived from the

41% glyphosate contained in the Gly Star product.

ps: Eggs, you are a good read. your advice is sound and of good measure.

Reply to
Jim Ledford