Tree Root Problem

What does one of these trenchers do when they encounter roots, Ron? (kick up, cut through ???) thanks

Reply to
cover

Don't try a chainsaw. The blade will last only about 15 seconds until it is totally dull. That happens even if the dirt is dug out fairly well. All it takes is a momentary touch to kill the blade.

Reply to
Stubby

Yeah, I was thinking about that one too where my chainsaw is concerned. Another killer incidentally is railroad ties. :-) I was thinking about using an axe (though they can be spooky devils to work with).

Reply to
cover

If you have a sawzall, you can buy a pruning blade for about $6. They are about 12-15" long and will go through dirt and roots like butter. I used one to cut the roots off a stump so I could pull it up and it was the easiest stump I have ever removed.

Reply to
Artemis

You'll see some wood chips in the dirt it spits out. Other than that you don't even notice there's a root there.

Reply to
Artemis

Guess it depends on size of root, and how sharp your trencher is. I cut through allot of roots, except for some big ones. Some knotted up roots it will not get through. I used the walk behind. Maybe the one you sit on has less of a problem.

Reply to
Bill