how to stop rodents from eating my cactus??

I live in the high desert of southern California. Two weeks ago, I put in a small cactus garden with red yucca, dollar prickly pear and mission cactus. My problem is the indigenous kangaroo rats. They've decided that the mission cactus is a tasty treat. Is there something I can do to discourage them from feasting without harming them or the plants?

TIA.

Lou

Reply to
lgrantt