To early to aerate?

I'm in the northeast. The snow is all gone and the lawn is soft. So is it too early to aerate? I know I should have done it in the fall but......

Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob

You could, but I would wait a couple more weeks, until the grass starts growing. When you aerate, it gives the grass roots the opportunity to expand into the loosened soil, which won't happen if the grass is dormant. Plus, if you do it while it's still dormant, it's going to look like hell for longer than if the grass is growing.

Reply to
trader4

Good point...Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob

Well, yes, they do do that but that's not the purpose for aerating the soil. The purpose is to get air down to the root level. That's why it's called "aerate". Plant roots need air and moisture to grow, and they will grow year round even though the top may be dormant. But they do grow faster in the summer than during cold weather. Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

imho:

I've heard from another home owner, that aeration is good as long as the grass is growing. Living in Pa, my grass is snow covered, growth is lil. So I'll wait till warmer weather.

later,

tom @

Just Joshin

It's not good to do *after* applying pre-emergent.

[snip]

Could you please put:

behind a proper sig delimiter, so that it can be snipped by other newsreaders when replying? Thanks.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Ah yes, any disturbing of the surface can interfere with the protection.

Thanks good catch!!

tom

Reply to
Just Joshin